Climb to San Marino: Things to do on your 65th birthday - Italy and Spain - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2017

Climb to San Marino: Things to do on your 65th birthday

Today was a great day for a ride to San Marino. This ride was 75km with over 4000ft of climbing almost all in one 11km ascent that averaged 6% but it had a few steeper bits. It was a spectacular day with nice clear skies. The wind was up a bit from the south so it was quite warm. The wind today is called a Sirocco, or in Italy a Gambino. This is a wind that generally brings in rain in 1or 3 days, here's hoping it's three. It is the warm wind that blows from North Africa picking up moisture from the Mediterranean. Heading home from San Marino it was great fun because it was downhill and down wind, woohoo. At the top we wandered about a bit, took some photos and had coffee with all of the other groups. After lunch a group of Canadians, more just our group, rode 15km return to pay our respects to some of the WWII war dead buried at the Coriano Ridge Commonwealth Grave site. Once back and cleaned up I celebrated my birthday with ALL of my friends who made the trip to Italy. It happened to be my day but is very special year for several of us as you will see in the photos. Prosecco was supplied by H&C for all to enjoy. Lastly today just happened to be the big pool party night so it was a wild night for a bunch of old folks. Thanks to everyone, it was an all round great day.

San Marino sits atop this ridge, an 11km climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me with San Marino in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Castle at San Marino.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yvonne riding under the archway that lead into the historic city, you go girl.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our gang part way down the hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Paying our respects and contemplating the waste of young lives at Coriano Ridge. To all but especially the 500 Canadians, RIP.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
My present from H&C, a self contained wash basin for doing laundry when travelling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My favorite photo. Celebrating with good friends who also had or will have a very special year. We have 50X1, 65X3, 7OX1 and a 75X1. Sadly we are missing 2 Sisters to add to the numbers a 60X1 and another 65. Happy Birthday to ALL.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My face painting at the pool party.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My dancing party/pasta lady making the fresh pasta for tonight's dinner. I was served in a tomato sauce with a duck ragu.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yvonne's lovely body art.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our menu.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was lots of dancing before and after dinner, here on the bridge over the pool.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My cake provided by the hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ham and Sara tripping the light fantastic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
By the end of the night it was a real pool party but we were all to smart to participate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More face painting at the party.
Heart 0 Comment 0
RIP.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 769 km (478 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0