3 sightseeing stops: Easy ride????? - Italy and Spain - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2017

3 sightseeing stops: Easy ride?????

After a really tough ride yesterday the plan was to do a short flatter ride of about 35km however we ended up with 68km and 2500ft of climbing. The purpose of today's ride was to do take in a little of the culture and history in this region. We started with a visit to Santa Caterina a monastery built into rock wall on the shores of Lake Maggiore. This was followed by Villa Bozzolo and Villa Panza. The first was very impressive with an amazing garden. The latter was less impressive but it did have a very unusual exhibit of multimedia art showing. Our Kiwi friends set off on their own adventure for Sara's birthday tomorrow. Ham doesn't know what is going to happen since Sara planned it, he is just to drive where she tells him to go. I know but I am sworn to secrecy.

Tradition holds that the Hermitage was founded by Alberto Besozzi, a wealthy local merchant who, having survived a storm while crossing the lake, decided to go into retreat on this part of the lake side, and conduct the life of a hermit. Here the Blessed Alberto ordered the construction of a chapel dedicated to Saint Catherine of Egypt and which is now visible in the lower part of the Church. This chapel, dating back to the 12th century.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ferry that criss crosses Lake Maggiore having just left Santa Cristena.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Siisters on Lake Maggiore today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the ornate rooms in Villa Bozzolo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the gardens from the second floor balcony.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Carol showing off on the balcony.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I finally managed to have a geico stay still long enough to photograph it. They are everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti on the balcony at Villa Bozzolo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the gardens and villa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Campo dei Fiori is the tallest mountain/hill in the region and it is also a park. We have been riding around it or through for days now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Villa Panza from the garden. This villa is in Varese.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An example of the funky art on exhibit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Four of the sisters among the flowers on the staircase.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patti and Stefano on the bike trail today. We had to bring non-cycling footwear with us to tour the sites so our Canada 150 bags came in handy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There may be some hard riding but the Sisters are having fun.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 374 km (232 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0