YVR to Florence - Fibonacci Scribble - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2022 to May 2, 2022

YVR to Florence

This was a very long day, as trips from the Canadian west coast to Europe always are. 

We started off with a taxi at 0830 taking us from our home in North Vancouver to a Canada Line station in downtown Vancouver. The Canada Line is rapid transit to the airport, completed prior to the 2010 Winter Olympics. It was built with space for bicycles and passenger luggage so was easy to navigate with our bicycle cases. 

Once we got to the airport, it took an hour and a half to check in due to a combination of factors. We always check in at a counter when travelling with our bikes, rather than a self-serve kiosk.  However, most passengers seemed to be doing likewise because Air Canada recently changed its policy so that no free checked bag is any longer included with an economy ticket, even for an overseas flight.  An Aeroplan credit card, however, entitles its user to a free bag, but you can’t get that and save yourself $70 at a kiosk. Add only two counters open and slow computers, and you have yourself a slow-moving line. 

On to the most intense inspection of our bicycles yet. Oversize luggage is inspected manually at YVR  so, as requested, we opened our cases and removed everything except the bikes.  After inspection, we put it all back in and put the cases on the belt to start on their journey. 

Security was quick, despite local headlines about people missing their flights due to exceptionally long lines just the day before. We’d arrived at the airport 4 hours in advance of our flight and got to the gate with almost 2 hours to spare. You never know!

Our seat-selection gamble paid off and I got my window seat, Al got his aisle seat, and we had an empty seat between us.  Someday transatlantic flights will all be full again but it’s nice like this while it lasts!  It was still a very long time to be sitting in a not-that-comfortable seat. 

We had over 4 hours for our connection in Frankfurt. Passport control, another security check, and we still had plenty of time. There weren’t a lot of amenities in the terminal and we should have taken the opportunity for a nap, as others were doing. Then a relatively short 90-minute flight and we were in Florence!

Our bikes arrived too, on the carousel with all the other luggage. A taxi to our apartment finished the journey got a total of 21 hours door-to-door (though it felt longer).

A walk around and dinner at an unmemorable tourist restaurant ended the day.

We’re in Florence! Main door of Santa Maria del Fiore aka the Duomo.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Absorbing some atmosphere
Heart 4 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Panel, East doors of Baptistery
Heart 5 Comment 0
Detail, East Doors of Baptistery
Heart 1 Comment 0
Self-portrait in a shop window
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Looking up the Arno to Ponte Santa Trinita
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Arno and Ponte Vecchio
Heart 5 Comment 2
Scott AndersonWhat a perfect sky for this shot.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Margie AndersonAhhh, I remember this place…
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Florence buskers
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Steve Miller/GrampiesGoodness that trip sounds gruelling. Still, now you can be off on this grand adventure. Looking forward to seeing where you go.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonHooray, you’re in! Good luck with the bike assembly.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Anne MathersWelcome back to Europe and some better weather than the wet coast of Canada. Looking forward to following along.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Steve Miller/GrampiesIt’s always easier to just stop at the first major airport. At least this time we flew direct from Vancouver to Europe.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonThanks, Scott. As you’ll see on the next page, it went very well this time.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Anne MathersThanks , Anne!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonYippee, you made and we have another journal to follow!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago