Oct 21 - Motovun to Poreฤ: Back down to the sea and into a huge towering cumulonimbus cloud with lightning and rain - Hvala: It's Been Thirty Sweet Years (Tour 16) - 2016 ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ท ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฎ ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น - CycleBlaze

October 21, 2016

Oct 21 - Motovun to Poreฤ: Back down to the sea and into a huge towering cumulonimbus cloud with lightning and rain

San Eleuterio Guesthouse, Poreč

The misty valleys below Motovun as I start out in the morning.
- Motovun, Hrvatska
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back up to the hilltop village of Motovun as I head out into the early morning.
- Motovun, Hrvatska
Heart 0 Comment 0

THIS morning's forecast showed little to no rain for at least a few hours. So, let's get this show on the road.

Quickly packed and the bike and bags carried down to the road, I took a few moments to get some fruit and juice for breakfast before the wild ride back down from the mountain-top village.

Research told me that the parenzana route might not be suited for my skinny-tired bike so I stuck to the pavement. Again there were rolling hills covered in olive, fig, grape, bamboo, yet next to no livestock. Not sure why this is the case. There were a number of small towns, tiny villages, and even a few properties for sale. People moving to the city, perhaps?

Before long I could see the snow covered peaks of the Alps off to the northwest. A beautiful sight. Then I could see the sparkling waters of the Adriatic as I returned toward the sea. Oh, how I missed the sea. I love mountains but really love the seaside

To this point the weather had held out perfectly, with even small bits of sunshine. But then off to the southwest was a huge towering cumulonimbus cloud under which it was purple with rain. Southwest was the way I was heading, by the way. You know how clouds can be when you're sitting at home waiting to enjoy a full-blown storm which veers away... you think they are coming your way but no. With about 10 km to go for today, it started to sprinkle a wee bit, with no signs of veering to this point. As I rolled into the edge of Poreč the cloud let loose and within ten minutes I was drenched. Not 100% drenched, but let's say about 83% drenched. So yes, Alex, I was about 17% dry now. And I was cold.

I rolled around the old town til I finally found the unsigned guesthouse. Back home I had asked them for their wi-fi password so was able to message them to come open up for me, which they soon did. Though the room was not ready, they let me put the bike and bags inside so I could explore unencumbered. Which I did. And to eat. Which I did. Sole and veggies. It was delicious. By noon the room was to be ready so I cleaned up and dried my soggy things on the heater. Much better.

By now the clouds had all disappeared so it was time to walk the seaside path, explore the old buildings in the old centre and sample some local wine in one of the local bars along the winding streets. It was so beautiful one would almost not believe it after seeing with one's own eyes.

****

As luck would have it, often when I travel I happen upon music in some ways that moves me. Today it happened again. While updating this blog, suddenly I could hear a bass (fiddle?) playing somewhere nearby. At times the sound resonated with the stone if this old building. There was a performance of about an hour of classical pieces that were not recognized by me, but were beautiful nonetheless. When the music stopped there was a slight knock on my door and there was the man who owns the guesthouse along with a woman and her daughter. The daughter had the huge cased instrument on her back, and then they apologized for being loud. To which I laughed and thanked them for the beautiful music. Explaining that the young girl was in a music competition, would it be alright if she resumed at 7 am in the morning. Of course, please do, I said. Everyone wins here. I get to hear great music while I pack my bags to go.

Alex's little Teddy bear enjoying a little break at Bacchus Cafe and Restaurant
- Old Poreč, Hrvatska
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking toward the casino
- Old Poreč, Hrvatska
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying the warm sun after a morning of downpours and cold
- Old Poreč, Hrvatska
Heart 0 Comment 0
With the water a mere 10 m out my window from my table, how could I NOT have a nice lunch of fresh, local fish?
- Poreč, Hrvatska
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stopped for wine in the winding streets. Beautiful old centre, especially since the morning's rain and clouds had left and now the glorious sun was shining.
- Poreč, Hrvatska
Heart 0 Comment 0
A friend from many years ago stopped by for a glass of wine.
- Poreč, Hrvatska
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just out enjoying the sun.
- Poreč, Hrvatska
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 152 km (94 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0