Tuesday Nov 4: Madrid Explorer I - Istanbul to Lisbon: From Sultanahmet to Sumol (and a sidetrip to Morocco) (Tour 7) - 2003 - CycleBlaze

November 4, 2003

Tuesday Nov 4: Madrid Explorer I

From the red-light area of my great hotel, to Barajas, and back to the Puerta del Sol, Madrid does not stop moving. The people keep coming, the people keep going, the vino flows, the tapas are eaten, the jamon hang by the hundreds in the windows (much to the chagrine of some travellers from northern Ontario), the camera flashes keep flashing, the scooters roar by, the buses race one another up and down the tree-lined boulevards, Don Quixote protects Plaza de España, Neptune emerges from the depths, the Prado peers out through the trees. Madrid is Madrid. I love it.

The hotel on Calle Cruz is WAY better than that other dungeon. It's clean, friendly, quiet, there is a faucet in the shower, and there is a toilet. We just sort of wandered around the streets and of all things tried some Spanish Turkish food?!?! Or is that Turkish Spanish food? I think the former. Tapas and such were the plan, but this other place reached out and nabbed us. It was good, but perhaps slapping back that reaching hand would have been a wise move. When in Spain....

For a laugh we took a wee walk through some of the seedy areas. It was still light out, but the grates were starting to open, I think. So, we headed to the Palacio Real and area for some incredible views of the palace, the Oriente gardens and took more great photos. Yes, they will get uploaded when I burn them to CD.

Getting a bit late and having already tramped all over the world, we returned to the hotel.

Vino tinto, anyone?
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the gardens by the Palacio Real, Madrid
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now there's a sissy-looking bike!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0