Saturday Nov 8: Tangier: Let's Meet in La Kasbah - Istanbul to Lisbon: From Sultanahmet to Sumol (and a sidetrip to Morocco) (Tour 7) - 2003 - CycleBlaze

November 8, 2003

Saturday Nov 8: Tangier: Let's Meet in La Kasbah

The morning started with a surprise guest - something kind of 'fell from the sky'. La cucaracha. The size of two twoonies dancing around the room. Was that grand! A quick meeting with a shoe and toilet fixed that wonderful little thing. I DO NOT LIKE COCKROACHES!!! Especially when they are the size of a large dog.

Wandering back into the Medina, I wanted to buy something in leather, a specialty more from Fes, but still, I was in Tangier. So the haggling started. The price that was too high; the offer that was way too low. The comments about losing money on the sale; the counter-comment that I would not be able to afford the rest of my holiday. The backing off, the giving up, the re-opening of the discussions, the frustration on both sides, the closer offers and finally, Brent got the leather for the price he wanted, plus the trinkets that were tres cool. A lot of fun, and I cannot say how amazing the haggling is here. Jump in, be respectful, and enjoy.

Then the walk up through the streets overhanging with the houses above, the clothing, the rugs, the jewellery, the hats, the leathers, the dolls, the food, the smells, the stenches, the garbage, and finally, emerging into the Kasbah. Comments from books or guides that you can get hopelessly lost are nonsense. Sure you might lose your way, but if you keep walking you emerge somewhere, not as a shish kebab on someone's plate.

There were views across the Strait of Gibraltar to Spain, back across Tangier, and along the Kasbah walls. Very interesting, very old, very Moroccan. Back towards the Medina and out again, we headed back to our restaurant to have a tajin for supper and to wish Salah well as we would be leaving in the morning.

The evening concluded with some very strong haggling for some pottery and trinkets - traded for some toothpaste, shampoo, mouthwash and such. They love this stuff that they cannot get. As well, note bene that pens, crayons, markers, colouring books and such would be really well received as gifts for children or better, for schools. They are not a rich country, so school supplies would be appreciated. As to its legality, I am not sure - check before you go.

Two amazing hagglers after the deal was made
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some lost guy in the Kasbah, Tangier
Heart 0 Comment 0
La Kasbah
Heart 0 Comment 0
La Kasbah
Heart 0 Comment 0
Meandering the old backstreets of Tangier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0