LOGIC AND ENERGY: "It's NOT Boring!" - Logic And Energy Debunk The Iowa Myth: Parts 1 & 2 - CycleBlaze

LOGIC AND ENERGY: "It's NOT Boring!"

LOGIC

No logical person should ever dismiss an entire state as boring.  That's not logical.  If you want proof, you need look no further than to some famous Iowa thinkers.  I doubt John Wayne thought Iowa was boring when he worked on his tough-guy swagger in front of the mirror in his parents' Iowa home.  Certainly Johnny Carson didn't think Iowa was boring as he practiced entertaining and interviewing his six year old buddies.  Neither Tom Arnold nor Ashton Kutcher thought Iowa was boring as they learned the art of being obnoxious actors.  I'm pretty sure Buffalo Bill Cody was never bored while ropin' cows and shootin' guns in Iowa.  Nobody would argue that twin sisters Eppie and Popo Lederer, later known as Ann Landers and Dear Abby, thought Iowa was boring--after all, they launched their careers by providing questionable advice to their lovelorn, teen-aged classmates.

Had enough?  Well, I've got more.  As a natural-born Iowan who was never bored in his home state, Jerry Mathers was a perfect fit for the role of Theodore "Beaver" Cleaver.  Andy Williams could have never crooned such heavy metal classics as "Moon River" if he was bored with his Iowa upbringing.  Bill Bryson never forgot his non-boring Iowa roots as he went on to publish some of the best travel writing of the last 50 years.  If Herbert Hoover had found Iowa to be boring, I don't think he could possibly have become the singular President of the United States who presided over the greatest economic collapse in American history.  Grant Wood, the greatest artist of all-time according to Iowans, showed the entire world how un-boring his home state was in a single painting:

Do these folks look bored?
Heart 0 Comment 0

It's true that most of the above stories are totally unsubstantiated--some might even say "fabricated"--but they do illustrate my main point:  Iowa is NOT boring.  And THAT'S logical!

ENERGY

And no energetic cyclist with an open mind should ever resist riding a bike into that oft-neglected state. 

Most cycle tourists who ride into Iowa do so, grudgingly, along the Mississippi River Trail or the Northern Tier Route simply as a means to get somewhere else.  ANYWHERE else.  No doubt, those famous routes traverse some of Iowa's most beautiful scenery--at least in the traditional sense of "beauty."  The Mississippi River valley IS a scenic wonderland, but that's not where I'M going.  I'll be using my energy to ride into the part of Iowa that seems to be a bicycle tourist's no man's land.

I don't have an exact route yet (that will come at the end of the journal) but it will be somewhere within the red outline.
Heart 0 Comment 0

WHY?

I have logic, energy, AND an open mind.  Therefore, I'm going to venture into the bike tourist's no man's land to attend a high school class reunion.  Why not?

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Mark BinghamAs a transplant Iowa, I wish I could put a couple of extra hearts on this. I love living in Iowa. (MN was a great place to live, too!)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauTo Mark BinghamThanks Mark. I always thought Iowa was pretty cool, and I sure like Minnesota too--winters and all.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago