Murud to Harihareshwar - Mumbai to Goa - CycleBlaze

January 7, 2024

Murud to Harihareshwar

Not so many miles today but a few more hills.  Easy ride on small roads to the car ferry at A.gardanda and saw a monkey by ghe road. Ferry was Rs31 (£0.31) although I doubt if anyone pays the Rs1.

Sister ferry coming the other way
Heart 4 Comment 0

Exiting the ferry was a bit like the start of a Moto GP with motorbikes riding off first.

Wearing hat, facd mask, gloves to keep sun off - but it means I can get hot.   I drank water before starting today but had no food and after a couple of hours I was starting to feel nauseous.    I could not find anywhere open for cooled food so settled for a packet of biscuits and lots of water.   OK after 30 minutes but I will stop more often.  When riding any sweat evaporates away but once I stop the water pours off me.   Drinking about 4L of water a day.

Biscuit shop!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Roads good and not much traffic.  Between towns some are single track tarmac with orange dusty edges but one long section was smooth wide concrete which eased the climb inland from Dighi Port.

A few white busses in one section so I made a mantra up:

Oh driver of the big white bus please stay away from me.

Do not drive with smart phone or with a cup of tea.

As if you run me over as plain as plain can be

You’ll be filling forms in until you’re ninety three.

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 90 miles (145 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Paul CalvertHi Andy, and other cyclists in hot climes. Hope you know this valuable survival tip:
Basic Rehydration Drink:
1 litre of water
8 Level (not heaped) teaspoons of sugar
Half a level teaspoon of salt.
Mix it up well to ensure all dissolved. Drink. Try it before you knock it!
This is a lifesaver. Use to rehydrate from dose of squits, viral fevers, just sheer heat dehydration, etc. Its the perfect electrolyte for absorption/ rehydration.
Of course you can carry or buy ORS packets but this just as good and will get you out of a fix just about anywhere. Try it Andy!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Andy BuchanTo Paul CalvertThanks Paul. I am drinking water, eating glucose Parle biscuits and adding extra salt with meals so am accidentally almost doing what you suggest!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago
Paul CalvertThat sounds good but eating salt and glucose isn't quite the same as making the drinkable and almost instantly absorbable electrolyte. Please do give it a whirl at some point when feeling fatigued and dehydrated. You may be pleasantly surprised!
Hope heat bearable and tyres n rims holding up well!
Reply to this comment
4 months ago