Layover day! - I've never been so ill prepared or so determined to tour - CycleBlaze

June 16, 2019

Layover day!

We need some magic today, for tomorrow we climb!

How lazy are we? When I got around to looking at the clock, it was almost 8. I sent Oren a text to see if he wanted breakfast. A half hour later Oren texted back saying he had just eaten breakfast. He was quite impressed that they had a make your own parfait station with raspberries, strawberries, etc. The breakfast here is a notch above. Our room is a touch small, but it has an unholstered chair and foot stool. Jacinto was happy with the large TV that was HD. The wi-fi is lightning fast. We should be luxuriating. Instead the threat of tomorrow's climb hangs over our heads. Oren says there's a 51% chance of rain tomorrow.

It is sprinkling here right now. Jacinto keeps bragging that he has an umbrella, but how will that work when he's actually riding?

Jacinto's saddle sore from the first day has finally scabbed over and fallen off. His cure is to ride even more often standing up. In the meanwhile he has ordered a Sella Anatomica seat that Jim recommended. Jacinto can try that out around home for a week before we leave on the Canada trip. As a preventative, he has been wear two pairs of shorts. Jacinto thinks the problem is the shape on the padded shorts. It doesn't matter what brand he wears, the edge of the pad hits him just wrong. He's been wear a pair of baggy off the bike shorts under the padded shorts. Which seems as if it would be totally uncomfortable with fabric bunching up and creasing. I suggested he buy a pair of yoga shorts. Jacinto went to WalMart today and bought a few items, but not yoga shorts. We did order some Aerotech eight panel unpadded shorts. Those will be waiting when we get home. We also ordered a new touring wheel from Sugar Wheel Works. It's going to be like Christmas for Jacinto when we get home!

I have an aunt and a cousin here in Cedar City. We went to lunch today and had a nice visit. I've cleaned my bike chain. Oren and I have had a long text conversation about food, water, departure time in the morning, the weather tomorrow . . . . it sounds like we are going to the Sizzler next door for dinner, purely because it's next door.

We are at the Best Western Town and Country. It is well positioned for departure in the morning. Wish us steady legs and no rain, please. Tomorrow we will have plenty of time to enjoy all of the views.

We are tucked safe in our room. Hopefully this will pass over. We climb to 10,000 feet tomorrow. Wet stuff could mean snow!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0