Carmona - Iberia 2013 - CycleBlaze

October 29, 2013

Carmona

Today got off to a rather humorous start. We woke early and reconsidered our arrangement to have breakfast at the hotel at 9, having a long ride ahead and wanting to leave time for Carmona at the end of the day. I went out in the hall to watch for signs of life and found none whatsoever other than two other guests (we weren't alone after all!) who were also surprised but dropped off their keys and left. The hotel seemed completely unattended. We were on the point of leaving behind our payment and a note when the door opened right at 9 and the attendant came in with a bag of supplies, asking if we were ready for coffee.

After all that, we still got an early start and were out the door before 10. We decided to begin by taking the long way to the next town, Constantina, by retracing the via verde in the other direction. It was just as great this morning, but in place of a few hundred sheep in the road we found only a lone, sleepy snake.

After stopping for lunch at Constantina we flew all the way to Carmona, gradually dropping 2000 feet to the Guadalquivir basin and blown along by a tailwind that steadily strengthened as the day went on. By the time we arrived at our hotel in Carmona, its whistle was loud within the lobby. We were very happy to have been eastbound today!

Spain is really an endlessly amazing place. We have been passing through a string of really great and memorable places for the last week, but nothing that prepared us for the splendor of Carmona. Sitting atop a 600 foot knoll, it rises above the basin and gives vast views in all directions. Within its historical center is a collection of wonderfully beautiful churches, arches, and ruined fortifications. There wasn't much light left to the day, but we enjoyed a first pass through and looked forward to seeing more in the morning.

Elevation log: 3400' today, 38,100' total.

Breakfast at Posada el Moro.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Cazalla.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near Cazalla, along the Via Verde.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the via verde.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the via verde.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Around Cazalla.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the via verde.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the via verde, almost lost in the fallen leaves.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Snake!
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the plaza in Constantina, our lunch stop for the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Villanueva del Rio y Minas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking north toward Cordoba from Carmona
Heart 0 Comment 0
Santa Clara Convent.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Priory of Santa Maria.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Church of Salvador.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In San Fernando Square at sundown, the din of birds in its trees was almost deafening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Church of San Pedro.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 64 miles (103 km)
Total: 809 miles (1,302 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0