Silves to Quarteria - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

April 17, 2022

Silves to Quarteria

Today, after being one of the first down for the hotel breakfast, were out the door at a record-breaking 9:15am.  It seems that our hotel is popular with cyclists as there were two more couples, one English, one Austrian, getting ready to head off.  They had flown into Faro and rented bicycles.  One couple was having their bags moved from hotel to hotel, while the other had rented a car.  This time of year seems to be prime cycling time in the Algarve, not too hot and not too busy on the roads. 

We had chosen a route that started along the fertile valley on quiet, agricultural roads beside the Rio Arade and through verdant orange and tangerine groves.   One tourism website claims that Oranges from the Silves area are considered among the best in the country or even the world due to the quality of the soil and the micro nutrients from the waters of Rio Arade.  April is the tail end of the growing season and most of the orange trees were well picked.  However, as we rode by one grove, the trees were still laden, with many having fallen to the ground.  We gave into temptation and plucked a perfectly ripe orange, fresh from a tree: so juicy, so ripe, so sweet.  What a treat compared to what we get in Canada that have ripened on  ship.   We were surprised to see that some trees were full of oranges AND blossoms.  Ann's Mom loves her mock orange tree growing at the cottage in New Brunswick,  especially when the perfumed blossoms herald the beginning of summer.  She would love the smell of these trees, it's very similar - a fresh, delicate floral scent.  Heavenly!

We had decided that today we would stop at a Pastelaria for an Easter morning treat.  We joined the locals for expressos, pastel de nata and a volcanic chocolate moussedelicious.  Then we covered some quick distance on a fairly busy secondary road with a wide shoulder for another hour before turning off and meandering for the last half hour through quiet roads past condominiums and resort villages before coming out to the coast once again and our hotel in Quarteria.  We were early enough to catch the Easter Sunday brunch in the hotel.  After a short nap, from too much lunch and rose wine, we joined the sunburnt tourists strolling on to the Praia Vilamoura.  Steven had a swim and said it was invigorating.  In the evening, we did laundry and FaceTimed family for Easter at home.  We watched the sky turn from pink to mauve over the water as the sun set.

At first glance we thought it was a cemetery. But then realized these were orange trees that had been severely pruned and treated.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Through the orange groves.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonOrange jersey for the orange groves :)
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Mid morning treats. Very small coffee and very large pastry.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Amid the high rises of Quarteria, at 44€ with breakfast, our best value hotel so far.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Slightly Moorish inspired windows, seen from our balcony.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 426 km (265 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonGood job skirting Albufeira - probably our least favorite stop in Portugal. We should have gone inland ourselves.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
ann and steve maher-wearyJust lucky as we figured out the best way to get to Quarteria.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kathleen WearyWhat I wouldn’t do to taste one of those oranges…😍
Reply to this comment
1 year ago