Quarteria to Tavira - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

April 18, 2022

Quarteria to Tavira

Leaving Quarteria we cycled inland and uphill first off.   The RideswGPS route took us through quiet roads, past grand, gated homes and upscale golf courses.  We stopped to take pictures of one particularly lush course to send to the avid golfers in Ann’s family to entice them to consider a golf trip to the Algarve. 

From there Rides took us through a park on rough tracks until the outskirts of Faro where we joined smooth cycle routes into, around and out of Faro.  Steven’s kickstand was missing a bolt and the remaining bolt was broken in place so he couldn’t get it out without a more substantial tool than we have with us.  Right beside the bike trail was a well-equipped bike shop and in no time, the mechanic had taken off the broken bolt and put in two new ones.

Faro’s city centre was bustling.  We walked our bikes through its historic old town past restored buildings with wrought iron balconies and tiled facades that are now fancy shops and eateries on pedestrian-only streets, eventually coming out to the boats bobbing in the marina.  We decided that we weren’t ready for lunch yet so after a few pics we cycled the perimeter of the medieval walls as we made our way out of town. 

Two hours later, we were more than ready to eat and looking for shade when we found a restaurant with a covered patio in Montcarapacho with one free table left.  While waiting for our plata de dio’s to arrive we chatted with an elderly British couple who have an apartment in Fero and who told us about their newly minted Luxembourg citizenships that they were able to attain having lived and worked there for 30 years.  They love the flexibility to come and go in the EU.

The last couple of lunch days, the meals seem to have been a bit lighter, anyways that's our excuse for our fading energy in the afternoons.  However, the plates were piled high on today's specials, so on full stomachs we flew the last stretch into Tavira. 

Tavira, on the banks of the Gilao River, is a new favourite town for us.  By the time we set out looking for supper at 7pm, the evening light was perfect on the river and the town's historic Roman bridge.  An accordionist was playing and there were families and couples strolling over the bridge and wandering into the small streets and alleyways before settling onto patios to watch the sunset on the river. We decided on sushi, sitting at a table at the river’s edge. 

Today was our last full day in Portugal, tomorrow we arrive in Spain!

Leaving the bustle of Quartiera
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of the coast in the distance on hole 5.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A grand facade cycling through Luz de Faro.
Heart 3 Comment 0
First official signage we've seen for the Ecovia do Litoral, also the Eurovelo 1, here in the Algarve.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Glad to find this trail side bike repair shop in a converted shipping container.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Faro pedestrian walkways.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Medieval walls beside the water leaving Faro.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Tavira alleyways.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We had supper at the tables you see.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Beautiful Roman bridge at twilight.
Heart 8 Comment 0
Lili Marlene Underneath the lamplights at dusk from the Roman bridge.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 487 km (302 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Kathleen WearyAre those self timer pics or did someone take them?

Envious of those pedestrian-only streets!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago