Orcera to Riopar - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

May 7, 2022

Orcera to Riopar

This was to be a short day so we lounged in our mini casa, slowly packing up, using the yoga mat to stretch, making coffees and toast until the cleaning lady came by a second time, so we rolled out at 11am.  

To make the most of being in the mountains we chose the higher route, which was a bit longer but with much better views.  It was market day in Orcera so we slowly coasted along, checking out the vendors and shoppers crowding the wide boulevard.  One side was mostly vegetables while clothes and shoes were sold on the other side of the street.  The weekly market seems a good solution for towns that are too small to have many - or any- stores.  

Being distracted we missed the first turn, but decided not to turn back and to stay on what appeared to be a slightly longer route, but the map reader didn't notice that it also took us way down and then way up again.  However, a Pollyanna could say that the extra kilometres and elevation were an added bonus to an other extraordinary ride.  We continue to marvel how we more or less stumbled upon this valley thanks to the Dutch couple who recommended it so enthusiastically, and how few other cycle tourists we have seen.  If you don't mind hills, this past week has been one of our best rides ever.  Today we rode up and down through more olive groves, pine forests and quaint villages, but every view is a bit different and always beautiful.  

After a healthy picnic lunch on a shady park bench in Siles, we knew we had some uphill before our final destination.  Of course we started with a glorious 4km coast out of town, but then had a gruelling 14km uphill with grades hitting 8%.  We were glad of our new sun hats in the 30 degree afternoon sun.  Finally we crossed the pass, 1150m, (almost as high as coming into this gorgeous valley), traversed from Andalusia to Castille La Mancha and coasted down into Riopar.  There we joined the Saturday afternoon crowds at the local cafe to quench our thirsts and appetites over a long, late lunch.  A great day.

Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesDodie says - glad you enjoyed your day. Those hills look like my idea of literal hell on wheels, but to each his own
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyThanks for following along. We are enjoying keeping up on your trip too. We loved cycling the Rhine. Yes it is a bit flatter.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 1,285 km (798 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonWaiting for pictures of the new sun caps and tech shirt 🙂
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-weary😀 we wore them on the trails yesterday but no close ups. Will try either today or tomorrow
Reply to this comment
1 year ago