Lepe to Rociana del Condado - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

April 20, 2022

Lepe to Rociana del Condado

Our first full day in Spain: now we are here we recall the Spanish aren't much on breakfast, so there was nothing offered at the hotel and we didn't expect much at the local cafes, if we could find anything open.  Good thing we are still carrying a bag of granola, which topped with pear and yoghurt gave us energy for the first couple of hours.  We did miss the coffee though!

A strong, dry, side wind buffeted us along as we picked our way out of Lepe, starting on small roads through large scale farming where all those oranges and tangerines come from as well as strawberries are grown on massive fields covered in plastic greenhouses.  Later in the day, as we got higher and, presumably further from rivers for irrigation, production shifted to olives, wheat and other crops that don't need lots of water.  The wind kept up but the wide open views were gorgeous and the roads relatively quiet. We were successful in picking a route from what we saw on Google Maps and Rides with GPS trying to avoid both busy highways and dirt tracks.

Today I was also reminded of of a book we read this summer The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton, which I highly recommend as a somewhat philosophical look at travel that should appeal to cycle tourers and all adventure travellers.  In one chapter he writes about what I shall paraphrase as the 'tyranny of the guidebook' that leads one to hustle along to join the queues at the top rated attractions meanwhile passing other places that may have elements that are as beautiful, or historically important, but somehow didn't make the list in the guidebook.  Simply because they were on our route to Seville, we rode through towns that are probably not in any of the guidebooks, but still could boast beautiful town squares, charming (and clean) cobblestone alleys and churches that are a few hundred  years old. The real highlight of the day was Niebla, which we almost bypassed but then noticed some old walls as we approached.  Niebla was an important trading centre a thousand years ago when the Moors built a substantial walled town and mosque.  The walls are mostly intact and the mosque is now a church with a unique, 9th century, flat roof and columns from an earlier Visigoth structure.  Best of all, the church was alive with a dozen kids in what looked like confirmation class that deteriorated into playing hide and seek among the pews while their moms were in a meeting in one of the chapels.  
A modern attraction that might not have been in the guidebooks was what, at a distance, looked like a suspension bridge, or something an evangelical leader would construct as a pulpit, but when we got close enough we could see it was a pair of solar generating towers. Very cool.

In Rociana del Condado, for supper we eventually found a place actually serving food, a hunting and football themed tavern, where we ordered plates of grilled fish.  Then we noticed all the regulars were eating bowls piled with small snails, not as dinner but as something to go with their drinks.  The waiter described them as "insects, good to eat this month" so Steven tried some for desert.  Tasty, but lots of work for not much flesh. 

Strawberry fields forever
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leaving Trigueros.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Wide vistas
Heart 7 Comment 3
Rich FrasierYou’ve really caught the Spanish sky in this picture. Its so special to Spain - nowhere else looks quite like it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonFantastic shot.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Rich FrasierWide open countryside! Thanks for following and commenting, Rich.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Quiet plaza in the early afternoon when everyone is having a siesta
Heart 3 Comment 0
Niebla walls
Heart 8 Comment 0
Gate into Niebla
Heart 4 Comment 0
Church entrance with Visigoth columns and Moorish arch restored in 20th C
Heart 7 Comment 0
Ancient roof and contemporary confirmation class
Heart 1 Comment 0
Church entrance
Heart 5 Comment 0
Solar power towers
Heart 3 Comment 0
Kids playing tag in front of the church in Rociana.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Not our hotel, but a stately home in Rociana.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Mmm snails...
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 608 km (378 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Scott AndersonThe tyranny of the guidebook - I like that.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamAnother book suggestion from you I knowI will enjoy
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonI often prefer the smaller, less well-known sights. Discovering them with no pre-conceptions is much more exciting.
Thanks for a new book!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Scott AndersonThanks Scott. We think you might enjoy the book if you haven't already read it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Tricia GrahamI think you will like it too. Are you guys contemplating another trip, I enjoy reading your blogs?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Suzanne GibsonThanks Suzanne, Steve and I were talking about it again today as we visit Seville. I think having the best of both world's is probably best, right. Finding places that are unheard of and exquisite along with the well-known places like the Alcazar today which are amazing too. Just so fortunate to see both. I think you will enjoy The Art of Travel too. Happy reading.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Tricia GrahamTo ann and steve maher-wearyYes we hope to go touring in August as our wheel’s haven’t turned since 2019 but now with a more relaxed attitude to Covid we can be off.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen WearyHow cool to see the church/mosque.. good for you for embracing the freedom from the tyranny of the guidebook
Reply to this comment
1 year ago