Jodar to Cazorla - La Iruela - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2022

Jodar to Cazorla - La Iruela

We were down for an early breakfast at 8:30am.  As the only ones there, we were quickly served delicious cafe con leches and a Spanish breakfast of tostadas with olive oil and pureed tomato sauce.  The breakfast is tasty if a bit on the light side but that's fine as we’ve an orange and a pastal tart for later. 

Ann is keen to be involved in more of the route planning and navigating so last night there was much discussion and gazing at maps and RideswGPS  in planning a ride that has us in Cazorla by 1:30pm before the forecasted rain. 

We started on the highway to skirt the town and quickly turned onto side roads, but just as quick these led to a very muddy dirt track.  Back on route after one short backtrack, we zoomed 11km downhill on the A322. What a wonderful way to start the day. 

After some significant ups and downs we had cycled another 10km when we stopped at the junction of the J5106 to take a phone call.  A necessary chat but it put us under the gun to make it to Cazorla before the rain.  We did 5km on this road then turned right onto the C328 for an up and another incredible down to a wide open valley and the village of Hornos.  The scenery is spectacular but with the black clouds rolling towards us, there was no time to stop.  Another climb, this time to Peal de Becerro.  Definitely hungry but with only 15km to go we picked up local strawberries and yummy homemade jam filled cookies and continued.  The route was fabulous, with little traffic and gorgeous views of olive groves that climb up the sides of mountains that then turn to rock and jagged peaks.  Despite the threat of rain it was a relief to cycle in the cooler temperatures and cloud after the heat of the last four days. 

Leaving Peal we encountered the first of any traffic we’ve seen in days.  Slowly we inched our way uphill.  Cazorla came into view as did the one more valley we had to go down before cycling up to the town and then on to La Iruela where we are staying.

It started to sprinkle a bit, just enough to cool us off as we climbed.  We had breathtaking views back to the hills and valleys we’d come through.  
Once in Cazorla we were looking forward to a substantial lunch as a treat after our ride but first, a necessary stop at the grocery store for food for supper, before it closed in seven minutes. 

Now that that chore was done, we had hours to kill before our 5pm check in.  A ride like today with a climb of 900m is particularly exhilarating, yet exhausting so it is a great feeling to have the work behind us and be able to enjoy a couple of relaxed hours over a good meal.  We found just the spot at Meson Don Chima, with its Iberian hunting lodge atmosphere and great traditional Spanish food, that tasted even better as the rain fell outside.

Another twenty minute climb, on full bellies up to our B&B and we are nice and dry as the rain continues  to fall.  It's  looking like more rain tomorrow, so we're thinking of staying two nights. 

This peak near Bedmar is popular with rock climbers
Heart 4 Comment 0
More open road and big vistas.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Just keep on climbing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It almost looks like a painted backdrop.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Storm clouds rolling in, they missed us, thank goodness.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Love the clouds.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Our destination, Cazorla and La Irula (to the left and higher).
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ann the pescatarian enjoyed a delicious trout dinner surrounded by hunting pics and trophies.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Steven feasted on appetizers of venison pate and partridge salad (mostly partridge and not much salad) before a full pork dinner.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Jan TimmersHello Ann&Steve. Today we had an easy trip on a kind of hottest, hitting south to Granada. And the weather is fine with Dutch clouds...🌤. From now on the weather will be perfect..You are going north we can see. So you will follow some Via Verde.. We drove the part from Valderrobres up to El Pinell de Brai. That's a breathtaking traject!!!🚲🚲 with impressing panorama's !! Be sure you carry extra lights on the bikes, because there are a lot of tunnels. Some have lights , some not, and its very dark inside. The longest tunnel is 700 meters..
Enjoy your trip ! Jan&Wilma.
P.s. I contacted Paul Benjaminse. He sayd that some routes of him are in English in E-books... That's good news.. Out favourit route of all times is Amsterdam to Rome. Compairing to the Spain route, that route is very, very, easy to do and 80% is nearly flat.. So:fly from Canada to Amsterdam and start cycling across Europe, traversing 6 countries and all the panorama's you could wish. Ofcourse you are welcome in our house on that trip!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyHi Jan and Wilma,

Thanks for the suggestions and your invitation. On this trip we won't be far enough north to catch the Valderrobres up to El Pinell de Brai section, another trip. The tunnels look like fun.

We'd love to connect with you next time we are in Holland. Not sure when that will be, we love cycling in Spain so much. You can send me an email at annmaher1@yahoo.com so we can stay in touch. You are welcome to stay with us if you come to Canada.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 1,137 km (706 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonI’ve been particularly enjoying following the last few days because of the memories they evoke. Jean was our next stop on the day after we lost our passports. We stayed up in the parador but spent most of the day trying to find the police station with sim hopes that our missing pannier had been turned in. Cazorla was on the part of the tour we had to scrap to drive to Madrid to get temporary passports for the flight home. I’d love to go back and see the region again someday.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago