Jaen to Jodar - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

May 2, 2022

Jaen to Jodar

The nice thing about staying in a hill top town is that the ride out starts downhill.  Leaving Jaen was a treat as we coasted down for almost 10km through downtown streets and bike lanes in the suburbs.  Our last stop was at the big box Decathelon sports store for Ann to finally replace her plastic sandals; the fancy leather pair are still waiting in a shop somewhere ahead!

Breakfast was not an option at the hotel, and we didn't pass any open cafes on the way out (we were so desperate that we even rode into the McDonalds, but it too was closed) so when we saw the utterly charmless cafe at the roundabout we turned in.  The cafe con lèche was absolutely divine and we tried to ignore the lack of cleaning evident in the cutlery on the floor from the night before. 

Like yesterday, this was another ride through olive plantations, except we were on roads.  Soon out of Jaen we turned (well to be honest, the first pass we missed the turn, but we re-traced our path and the navigator was more attentive) onto a small, but paved road that climbed for a brutally steep 8km, but with beautiful vistas around every hairpin bend - and almost no traffic.  

After a lunch break in the park at Mancha Real, we continued on the A320, a bigger road with wide shoulders, but still not much traffic, probably because this Monday was the Spanish Labour Day holiday.  At the risk of sounding repetitive, it was another outstanding cycling day with good roads, little traffic and beautiful scenery.  Andalusia seems particularly beautiful in the spring with the landscape quite green and lush, the abundance of wildflowers, and only minimal work being done in the olive groves.  Recalling the industry surrounding olive harvest in the small groves in Portugal last October, we can only imagine how the tractor and truck traffic in these vast plantations would disturb the quiet we are experiencing. 

The final 10km was mostly uphill, but again luck was with us as a strong tailwind had picked up to help us on our way.  Jodar, at least what we saw, is mostly quarrying, tiles and truck repair shops, but it was a good break point and the 3* hotel was a very reasonable price - and afforded a lovely view of the mountains from our balcony.  Today we skirted the Parque Naturel Sierra Magina and tomorrow we should be deeper into those rugged hills, leaving behind the more gently rolling hills of olives.

And it was our first day with over 1000m climbing!

Uphill through the endless olive groves.
Heart 6 Comment 1
Kathleen WearyThe olives must be delicious, have you tried any or they’re not in season?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Downhill on the A 320
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Traffic hazard on the A320
Heart 7 Comment 0
Still a ways to go. Our route is around the left side of that hill and up the valley.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Just around that mountain to Jodar!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lots of protein for the hills tomorrow.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Jan TimmersDear Ann & Steven. We just misst you one day... We just arrived in Jodar and stay in the same hotel you did, I think. Soaking wet. Tomorrow we follow the route to Granada... Kind regards, Jan&Wilma
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyHi Jan and Wilma
Oh so lovely to have you connect with us through the blog. Yes it was a rainy day today so we stayed put here in Cazorla. I hope you have warmed up in the hotel in Jodar. We had dinner there and I loved the swordfish I had. Safe travels on your route.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 1,082 km (672 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0