Cazorla - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

May 4, 2022

Cazorla

Henry Higgins had it wrong today: the rain in Spain did not fall mainly on the plain, it fell on the mountains.  We woke to the sound of dripping from the roof which solidified our decision, it’s an R&R day.  On a cold, wet Wednesday rooms in this resort are not sold out so we easily booked in for a second night and sat back, enjoying second cups of coffee. 

Around noon it cleared enough to walk down the hill to explore some of Cazorla.  We saw the ruined church and castle, climbed the tower to check out the rooftops, bought some veggies at the market and strolled past the shops.  An economy of cycle touring is that any temptation to shop is quickly doused by the thought of squeezing the potential, lovely set of salad bowls into our already full paniers and pedalling them over the mountains, but we ended up in a sports shop and realized that we really needed peaked sun caps with neck coverings for this strong Spanish sun, and there on the sale rack was a perfect tech shirt for Ann, so we gave in.  Watch for the new look in future photos!  

Back just in time to avoid the next deluge, we did laundry, bike maintenance, caught up on the blog reports and connected with family at home. 

We’re excited for tomorrow as we cycle into the Sierras de Cazorla y Las Villas Nature Reserve, Spain’s largest protected area.  And the forecast is for full sun so we will be using our new hats!

Our apartment hotel with a ruined castle overhanging.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Bicycle hotel in Cazorla. We didn’t know about it until we happened to ride by, but probably would have stayed here if we had known it existed.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Michael JamesChurch ruins? Any idea what happened to the building?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Somewhere in a museum this month, we saw a black and white photo of roof top tiles. Here is my version using Apple effects.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0