Carmona - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

April 25, 2022

Carmona

We were glad for the extra day in Carmona, which we spent exploring town at a very relaxed pace.  Often, we ride for much of the day getting into our destination around 4pm, check in, shower, and Steven likes a short nap, which doesn't leave much time to explore or sightsee, let alone get oriented before finding a restaurant for the evening meal.  An extra day meant that we already sort of knew where we were going as we aimed for the old Centro.  

First stop, the Seville Gate of the walled city (which is free on Monday) with the now expected, Roman, Visigoth and Moor origins, fortified in the 13th C Reconquista and fixed up as historic monuments early in the 20th C.  So much history in the rocks -and beautiful views in all directions from the top, explaining why Carmona was such a strategic town for all those years.  As a retired educator, Steven was reminded of field trips past, seeing the kids having so much fun and perhaps learning as much history as could be expected for 7-year olds!  

Next stop was the Santa Clara Convent where we climbed the tower and dawdled in the Chapel, marvelling at the art and the incongruity of the elaborate golden carved alter and the life of poverty espoused by the order.   It was a peaceful place, partly inspired by the decor and design, but also because we were alone apart from one nun selling tickets and cakes at the entrance.

We couldn't find the way to get on top of the Cordoba Gate, so we went back the square for lunch at a touristy spot with mediocre food but the best views.  Our final destination was the remains of the Roman amphitheatre which would have been disappointing on a more tightly packed day as a large fence kept us far away and all we could see was a hole in the ground, but on this day we appreciated the walk and exploring a part of town where normal people live and work.

For late afternoon entertainment, Steven took the bikes to the plaza fountain for a much needed wash.   Too tired and lazy to wait until 9pm for a Spanish dinner, we went out for a glass of wine in a taverna and then took advantage of the kitchenette in our room to make an omelette.   A low-key ending to delightfully restful day in Carmona.

The Restaurant Goya where we enjoyed good food and excellent service. Next day we opted for another place right on the square that proved disappointing.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Karen Quinnlove the architecture!! But , it looks cool... everyone in jackets. Usual for this time of year?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyIt’s hot during the day but since we are on a high plateau, it’s cool at night. And everyone is outside for supper at 10pm so you have to be dressed for it. Thanks for reading.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A school visit led by costumed guides added a liveliness to the Seville Gate in Carmona. Reminded us of our son Rob, who leads similar visits at Fort Chambly near Montreal.
Heart 2 Comment 0
View from Seville Gate.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 1
Props for the school kids' visit
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our hotel had an inner courtyard, which are found in many buildings in this part of Spain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Kathleen WearyThe inner courtyard and the views… so much beauty
Reply to this comment
1 year ago