Arenal to Bunyola - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2022

Arenal to Bunyola

From the maps, Bunyola seems the perfect second stop in Mallorca; it's an easy ride from Palma and close enough to Soller to make for a reasonable day excursion.  As planned, today's ride was quite easy and we got our first real taste of Mallorca cycling. 

The first 10km back to Palma was the same cycle route we came in on, but this time we knew the route so we could enjoy the scenes of beaches, quiet with only a few morning swimmers and the awakening of the shops, restaurants and hotels on the road side.  The path is well marked and with just enough curves and abrupt changes to keep one moving at a pace conducive to admiring the scenery. 

Bunyola is on the other side of Palma, which meant we had to traverse the city.  The eve of departure map study of possible routes was short as we have faith in RideswGPS to get us through a city, and Google showed mostly a similar route.  Steven's idea of a potential alternate route not shown on the mapping apps brought back memories of being lost in orange fields and was quickly cast aside.  

Again, the app served us well as we turned from one bike lane to another, watching the different neighbourhoods of Palma come to life on a Saturday morning, and eventually ending up at the start of the MA 2031.  At first, this "highway" had lots of traffic, but also a signposted, wide-shoulder bike lane.  Then we went through a roundabout, the road got much narrower and the cars must have gone somewhere else as the traffic died off.  This is what we expected of Mallorca "flatland" cycling: a narrow, but good paved road, with stone walls, through picturesque farmland and with very few cars, most of which were accommodating of cyclists. 

The jagged mountains in the distance kept getting closer and finally we were in Bunyola, which, as it is at the intersection of two main cycling routes, is a popular spot.  On arriving at the main square we had to jostle, first, for a space to park our bikes, then for a table at one of the cafes where we ordered agua con gas to quench our parched throats, followed by cafe con leches to perk us up.  Another thing we (mostly) love about Spain is that the waiters never seem in a rush to get you out, so we nursed our cafes and then sat for an hour watching the scene of cyclists coming and going.  They were 90% men, everyone but us had a light, road bike, all ages were represented but with more retirees, about half were in pairs or small groups and half were serious cycling groups of 8-15 with very fancy racing bikes, all wearing matching outfits and taking up lots of space.  We are truly in a cyclist's destination.  

And speaking of cyclists, we knew that two other sets of Cycle Blazers, the Mathers and the Fenwicks, are both cycling Mallorca at around the same time as us, so we were only slightly surprised to bump into the Mathers among the crowd at the square in Bunyola.  We chatted for a while and caught up on each other's journey, but they had another pass to climb that day so we said au revoir.  It felt good to actually meet people in person who we know from an online world.

Eventually it was check-in time, so we got the waiter's attention, paid our bill and headed over to our hotel.  After a shower, a nap, a swim and some lounging reading by the pool we were ready for supper.  The hotel recommended a nearby restaurant with a chef who had worked in Japan and specialized in a fusion menu.  We ate well on the warm, patio, deciding that we really like Mallorca.

Quiet on the beaches leaving S'Arenal
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Quintessential Mallorca cycling!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Meeting the Mathers, fellow Cycle Blazers, in the square at Bunyola
Heart 5 Comment 5
David MathersGreat to meet you both too. Enjoy your stay on the island 🏝
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraNice looking bunch!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jane KyleJust realized I met Ann at a yoga class in Victoria, pre Covid. We have mutual friends:) Small world!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyHi Jane
Thanks for following along on our trip. Did you mean meeting Ann Mathers or me at a yoga class? I think it must have been Ann Mathers? We were to Victoria for a visit last April…. We do have good friends who live in Victoria, Tim Gosley and Petra Kixmöller. And acquaintances Carleton Monk.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jane KyleTo ann and steve maher-wearyHa!Ha! I met Ann Mathers@yoga!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Is there room for another bike on the rack?
Heart 3 Comment 0
All dressed up and ready to go out on the town
Heart 6 Comment 7
Jacquie GaudetNice new outfits!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonLove the dress!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jane KyleEnjoying your new clothes!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Jacquie GaudetFun to have something different to wear after 6 weeks. Thanks 😊
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Jane KyleThanks, it’s so nice to slip on something new and clean.😀
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Rachael AndersonTell you the story about our dress shopping escape in Valencia in person. Hoping someday our paths are going to cross. Having met the Mathers and Fenwicks, I am looking forward to meeting more Cycleblazers on the road.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
ann and steve maher-wearyTo Jane KyleAs I hinted to Rachel, shopping was an event. But can’t share everything in print. A girl’s gotta have some secrets😊.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Fusion Japanese-Spanish cooking in Bunyola
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 km (22 miles)
Total: 1,882 km (1,169 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetAs I noted in Anne Mathers’ journal—its interesting that all 6 CycleBlazers on Mallorca just now are Canadian. We will get there someday but it seems May is too hot for us.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago