Alcudia - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2022

Alcudia

We enjoyed supper last night at our new home for the next week, the Grupotel Maritimo, just across the street from the beautiful beach, Platja de Muro.  The hotel has just been renovated, so everything is white and sparkling.  We chose to go with the half board: breakfast and supper every day.  After almost two months of trying to decide where to eat or what to make in an unfamiliar kitchen, we could get used to just showing up and a delicious all-you-can-eat buffet is ready.  Great salad bar, grilled fish to order for Ann -King prawns, sole, sea bream, and meat for Steven.  Lots of cooked veg dishes, fresh fruit and way too many desserts!

The forecast called for rain, but that was OK because after five days in a row of cycling, we were due for a day or two off.  And we had laundry to do as well as shop for new bike shirts, swim at the beach and visit Alcudia and the Port of Alcudia.

First thing though was a slow breakfast with lots of cafe con leches.  Later swimming at the Platja Muro, which is a 6 km long white sand beach a 5 minute walk from our hotel.  Then a nap, then laundry, and whoops where did the day go?  Especially since we had our first planned get-together with a couple of other Cycleblazers here on Mallorca, Pat and Scott Fenwick.  It was lovely to connect with fellow bloggers.  It is so much fun to talk to others who are as keen about cycle touring as we are.  They had just completed Mallorca's most famous climb, the Sa Calobra, so we were glad to hear about their experience and how we might do it too.  We hope that our paths will cross again on our European travels, or in Canada, maybe even cycling together for a few days along a beautiful coastline or not-too-steep mountain route! 

The next day we got in gear a little earlier and cycled to the main town of Alcudia, once a Roman settlement, where we checked out the remains of the Roman walls and wandered among tourists on picturesque lanes.  See pics below!  All told we cycled a measly 25km over two days and it felt just about perfect!

Living the all-inclusive, resort dream
Heart 0 Comment 0
Time to relax. We have been here 6 days, maybe tomorrow!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Newly renovated.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sparkling floors.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beach; maybe we could sit in those lounge chairs some day?
Heart 1 Comment 0
The more than slightly restored gate and walls to Alcudia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Iglesia de San Jaume
Heart 0 Comment 0
Potted plants to beautify the lane way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Kite surfers at the windy beach
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 2,008 km (1,247 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jane KyleNice to slow down for a day or two...😊
Reply to this comment
1 year ago