Alcala del Jucar to Requena - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2022

Alcala del Jucar to Requena


Today was a travel day.  Head down and pedal, the first of two days of solid cycling to get to Valencia.  But it's hard to keep your head down and just pedal in Spain, there's so much to see.  We warmed up with a 3km  climb out of the gorge in the cool morning air, pausing to catch our breath and admire the magestic views of limestone cliffs and the town of Alcala, where we had spent two perfect days in the gorge to cycle and relax.  

On the climb we met serious weekend cyclists flying downhill and surmised that they were completing their morning loop, cycle to the end of the gorge, climb out, cycle across the top of the perimeter of the gorge and then zoom down to the bottom again, just in time for a leisurely breakfast with the family. 

After one last look back at the incredible view, we started onto the straight, empty roads beside expansive fields to Casas de Ves.  Again Google and RideswGPS put us on dirt roads, but with all the Spaniards in bed, or at least at home and not driving on a Saturday morning, we plotted a paved road route to Villatoya.  

Of course, we knew we had been climbing since leaving the coast and that we were heading downhill back to the ocean, but we hadn't realized how high we were on a plateau until we came to the crest of a deep valley and looked way down to where we were headed; thus followed 8km of empty highway with broad switchbacks all the way down to Villatoya were we stopped for our first lunch of the day.  Good thing we had something to eat as we needed the energy for the hour climb in the hot sun, 6km over the other side of the valley and into the region of Valencia.

Eventually we arrived in Requena, in so many ways just another ordinary, mid sized town, where we navigated through the weekly market to find a spot for a late lunch.  As the patio was full, we were happy to head into the restaurant to hide from the sun and order drinks and food.  

While some places are busier on weekends, Requena is not; we are one of two rooms occupied at a very reasonable, 3* hotel where, to check in, we interrupted the extended family having an even later lunch in the otherwise closed, dining room.  After grocery store salads for supper it was early to bed for tomorrow's ride.  

Last look at Alcala del Jucar.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Did we actually just ride those switchbacks out of the Jucar Gorge?
Heart 6 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWow! What an amazing road. You both are really strong!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Broad fields from the gorge to Casas de Ves.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Empty roads on Saturday morning. Getting lots of km done while it is still cool.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rolling farmland between Casas de Ves and Villatoya. Reminds us of Sutton-Knowlton back in Quebec.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hoping that Requena is before those ridges in the distance.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Just coming into Requena on the N322 with its three foot wide shoulder. This is what we rode for the last 20km. (But without the houses).
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,633 km (1,014 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0