Albacete to Alcala del Jucar - More Dreaming - Lisbon to Barcelona - CycleBlaze

May 11, 2022

Albacete to Alcala del Jucar

Google Maps showed three route options to get to Alcala del Jucar with the blue, first choice being a bit longer and with more climbing.  Our investigations convinced us that we would be better on one of the alternates, the CM322.  But RideswGPS also showed taking the longer CM3218 route.  Luckily the two routes were the same for the first 6km out of town and when we got to the decision point we understood.  There was a wide, smooth, paved bike trail lined with trees that runs parallel to the CM3218 all the way from Albacete to Valdeganga - 25km of bliss!  Thinking back to the slog of getting into Albacete, getting out was heaven!

When planning our trip we weren't sure whether to go to Grenada and up the coast, or stay inland.  Once we chose the inland route, then there were three things we really wanted to do: 1). Cycle up through Spain’s Sierras, the southern mountains; done.  2). Cycle down through the Jucar River Gorge, and that’s where we are headed today.  And the third thing, well you are just going to have to wait a few more days to find out, although you probably have a pretty good idea. 😉

How did we hear about the Jucar Gorge?  Well, one cold winter day in Quebec, Ann was dreaming about this trip, looking up cycle rides in Spain and came upon a YouTube video called Wheels To Wander, about a couple doing a very rugged, "bike packing" trip.  They had come through the Jucar Gorge, their photos and descriptions were awesome and, unlike much of their trip, this part looked possible for cyclists of our age and equipment.  Like so many of the places in Spain we have been to on this trip, we couldn't find much information about the gorge, but there were a few hotels and it was sort of on the way to Valencia, so here we are. 

So back to this fab ride to The Gorge and how some mistakes made it an even better day.  We should have stayed on the CM3218 when the bike trail ended but looking at the scenery instead of the map, we found ourselves heading right down into the gorge on ever smaller roads and tracks through farmers fields, eventually crossing water on a narrow walking bridge and then climbing out the other side and making our way back onto the 3218.  Beautiful!  Once back on the 3218 we passed through Bormate and climbed up to Abengibre on our way to Alcala.  The temperature was a scorching 37 degrees as we travelled through open farmland with vineyards, olives and some livestock.  But again we took our eyes off the map and again ended up off route.  The Google maps re-route would have us on dirt tracks back to the highway, but dust and dirt across flat fields in this heat was unappealing so we opted to stay on pavement and enter the gorge earlier at La Recueja.  What a good choice: the views from the switchbacks were amazing.  And, once we were down at the bottom, it was so much cooler under the canopy of trees and beside the soaring cliffs that blocked the noon day sun. 

We love riding without traffic.  Since leaving the bike path until we entered the gorge, maybe ten cars passed us.  Once we were in the gorge, only one vehicle passed us on the 10km from La Recueja to Alcala!  What a day for cycling !

Now this is a bike path!
Heart 4 Comment 2
Jane KylePerfect! Continue to enjoy following along:)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonDefinitely my kind of road!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Wonderful paved bike path separated from the road.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Our first dip into the gorge, still not very deep here but we can see the limestone cliffs.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Back onto quiet roads.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Grape vines pruned into candelabras.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First big view into the main gorge above La Recueja.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Loving the switchbacks.
Heart 6 Comment 1
So glad we have 3 days in this valley
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,487 km (923 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonLooks fantastic. I’ve never heard of it before now.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetLooks wonderful! But I’d melt in that heat!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonWow! But I’m with Jacquie about the heat but late fall would be nice.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago