Budapest. Day 2. - Hoek van Holland - Budapest: The Maas to Magyarorszag - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2014

Budapest. Day 2.

Heart 0 Comment 0

There were more tasks to perform this morning. First, to stow the bikes and the bags at the office of the letting company, second, to return the keys to the landlady at Little Walnut Tree street and then to go out and give Budapest a good looking at. Included in task three was sub-task 3a; to buy the train tickets out of Hungary. To that end, as the previous evening, we first walked to the Chain Bridge to cross the river. This time, by way of reconnaissance, we walked a route, on which we could also cycle. From the bridge, we walked straight ahead through the tunnel, then up the hill to Deli station, whose platforms, if you wanted to avoid a flight or two of stairs, turned out to be very awkward to reach by bike. There's no lift. We figured out a convoluted way round by road.

Yesterday evening. back in the flat after dinner, I'd given the Deutsche Bahn website a very good looking at and had come up with the route home. The first stage meant leaving Hungary by local train into Austria, hence the change of point of departure. At Deli [means north, but is to the west] station, we were directed to the international ticket window. Unlike the international ticket window at Keleti, there was no-one at it. We found we had to buy tickets for two separate journeys; from Budapest to Györ, then from Györ to Brück-an-der-Leithau, Austria, the terminus of that train. This was a minor result, inasmuch as the service to Györ is considered to be a local, Budapest, service, so I, as a 65 year-old would travel free. The bikes were 600 forints apiece {£1.60].

We were now free to wander around the city to our hearts' if not our feet's content. 16+ miles later we were being shown the new apartment. We ate in, this evening.

I took pictures, a lot of pictures

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0