Day 27, Dove Creek to Circle K Guest Ranch (east of Dolores): Getting High in Colorado - Searching For a Heart Attack on the Western Express - CycleBlaze

August 18, 2017

Day 27, Dove Creek to Circle K Guest Ranch (east of Dolores): Getting High in Colorado

NOTE; You can leave a comment or question for us by using the “Comment” feature located near the bottom of the page. We enjoy getting these and will respond as soon as we have internet service (some places we stay don’t have it or the wifi is just too weak to be useable). Thanks!

Dove Creek, CO to near Rico, CO
Heart 0 Comment 0

Mileage Today; 61   Total So Far; 1,267   Remaining; 334

Climbing Today; 3,258   Total So Far; 73,461   Remaining; 20,953

Max Grade Today; 7.5%   Average Uphill Grade; 1.6%

Average Speed While Riding; 10.1 mph

Mechanical Issues; Doc’s front derailleur wouldn’t shift for first half of day

Photos Credit; Bud, unless noted otherwise

****

Doc speaking;

We stayed last night in Dove Creek, Colorado, in a motel with a gravel parking lot full of Harley touring bikes - and one U-Haul truck carrying another which had "dropped the transmission". I dropped my chain twice yesterday morning during the climb out of Blanding, UT, and I was stuck in low, or at least on the small chain ring, all day despite twisting the barrel adjuster to the limit. Expert attention was required.

We rode into Dolores, Colorado, after a chilly ride through bean fields and breakfast at Bubbas in Lewis.

Early Morning Irrigation
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farmers And Cyclists Are Working Early
Heart 0 Comment 0
Field of Sunflowers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shack In Field Near Yellow Jacket; Old Sharecropper's Place? (Photo Credit; Doc)
Heart 0 Comment 0
What Kind Of Horse (or cross-breed) Is This?
Heart 0 Comment 0

I consulted Nicholas at Lizard Head Cyclery, who went straight to work after taking my bike for a spin with his cat, Edgar, on his shoulders. The problems were multiple, and lack of favorable response to minor tweaking hinted that the prognosis was unfavorable. Things began to get gory when he replaced small screwdrivers with a 16" crescent wrench to lever parts that I could not name, so I left the waiting room and went for a burger and shake to calm my nerves. He greeted me after lunch with a smile and a fully responsive bicycle, so after admonishment to stop cross-chaining and dropping my bike on the derailleur, I was off to catch Bud and Sis.

Lizard Head Cyclery Is An Interesting Place (Photo Credit; Doc)
Heart 1 Comment 0

Bud speaking;

Unlike yesterday, the climbing occurred mostly during the last half of the ride. Oh well, you can’t pick the topography, it just is what it is. Fortunately, the grade was very gentle and we barely noticed we were climbing. It had been a cool/cold morning (the mornings are definitely colder as we roll into the Colorado mountains) and the stars were out; it was one of those magic times. The ACA map depicted a store in the little community of Pleasant View, but the only store appeared to be up for sale and certainly wasn’t open at our early arrival. So, as Doc already noted, we rolled on to Lewis and were fortunate that Bubba’s had opened about a year earlier; we enjoyed a good breakfast and rolled on towards Dolores.

Doc was anxious to have his derailleur adjusted at Lizard Head cyclery, until he saw the rather eccentric owner man-handling the derailleur with a large wrench. Sometimes it’s best not to watch. We had lunch in Dolores whilst the magic was being concocted on Doc’s bike, then we bought some supplies for tomorrow morning’s breakfast and rolled on towards the Circle K Guest Ranch.

Here’s a few shots along the way;

Idyllic Farm Setting (Photo Credit; Doc)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our Path Enters The San Juan National Forest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dolores River Upstream of Dolores
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dolores River Near Circle K Guest Ranch
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rocky Mountain High; Stoner Creek?
Heart 0 Comment 0

I had told Doc and Sis that we were sharing a room for the night. That’s not true; I had actually reserved a cabin for the night, I just told them that to surprise them. They were indeed surprised, and our home for the night consisted of this little place located right next to the Dolores River which was adjacent to our rear porch.

Our Home For The Night
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a cafeteria-style dinner at the Circle K, and it was quite good. They made us a sack lunch for the next day as we weren’t certain what our dining options might be, if indeed there were any. Tomorrow will be our longest day and have the most climbing that we encounter in Colorado, so an early night is (once again) in order. Good night all…

Today's ride: 61 miles (98 km)
Total: 1,266 miles (2,037 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0