Day 22, Boulder to Hanksville: Eye Candy Overload, Milestones and Records - Searching For a Heart Attack on the Western Express - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2017

Day 22, Boulder to Hanksville: Eye Candy Overload, Milestones and Records

NOTE; You can leave a comment or question for us by using the “Comment” feature located near the bottom of the page. We enjoy getting these and will respond as soon as we have internet service (some places we stay don’t have it or the wifi is just too weak to be useable). Thanks!

Boulder, UT to Hanksville, UT
Heart 0 Comment 0

Mileage Today; 84   Total So Far; 1,030   Remaining; 566

Climbing Today; 4,643   Total So Far; 59,854   Remaining; 36,428

Max Grade Today; 8.6%   Average Uphill Grade; 2.9%

Average Speed While Riding; 10.1 mph

Mechanical Issues; None

Photos Credit; Bud, unless noted otherwise

****

Bud speaking;

I don’t know why, maybe it’s because we’re all getting a bit worn down, but 3:30am just seems to come early these days. After a bite to eat and some hot chocolate and fussing around getting the steel steeds all packed, we finally rolled out at 4:45am. A little later than planned, so sue us if you think we’re slow.

The morning was cool and that would have been nice but we got some stiff wind rolling down the mountain and we all were wearing rain jackets for warmth. We commenced climbing right away, and that was the story for the next 4 hours.

We Climbed For 4 Hours This Morning To Reach The Summit
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the distance, a single coyote yelped a mournful cry. Not much, and not for long, but it was good to hear anyway; I really miss the early morning coyote music that is so common in Montana, Wyoming, and northern Colorado. I’m hoping we hear it as we traverse southern Colorado, but we aren’t there yet and this day demands its own toll of sweat and labor so we need to attend to it now. Not sure about this sign; does it mean to beware of wild cattle?

So How Are We Supposed To React To This Sign?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Motorists miss much of the beauty found in these wild places as they speed by too fast to notice small waterfalls like this;

Small Waterfall Along The Way This Morning
Heart 0 Comment 0

Aspen seem to be quite abundant in these mountains. Many years ago in Geology Field Camp I sprained my ankle and my classmates fashioned me a crutch from an aspen branch with a “Y” in it. I still have that crutch. Seems as if aspen isn’t used as a building material wood, so I guess it must be too soft for commercial use?

Sunrise Above The Aspens
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aspen Groves Are Abundant In The Mountains East Of Boulder
Heart 0 Comment 0

This really is open range country, and you have to be careful while hurtling downhill at breakneck speeds of 40mph+ lest you collide with this walking hamburger.

Open Range Means Cattle May Be On The Road
Heart 0 Comment 2
Kelly IniguezI just traded emails with Denis, who did hit a cow (!) in Montana. He thought the cow was safely on the other side of the road, when it doubled back, like a deer! Denis ended up with broken ribs. The bike had a damaged fork and front wheel. He was able to hitch a ride back to his sister's house, fix the bike, and continue on. Tough!

I'm rereading this for the umpteenth time. I keep looking at my Ten Eureka's trip. It includes Eureka in California, Nevada, and Utah - follows right along with the Western Express. I just don't think I have it in me . . . I wish I did. I think I"m slightly embarrassed how many times I've read these pages. You make me feel as if I"m there.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
George HallKelly; I'm happy to hear that my journal is helpful, thanks for that. After all the climbing you did on your Big Mountains and Small Towns tour this year, I think you do have it in you to do the Western Express. It is a challenging route, and good planning and preparation is probably more important here than other routes - but you are the best at planning! Really early departures are helpful in the long sections, and maybe throw in a few more rest days than usual. There are a few crazy steep grades, but most are "normal" Rocky Mountain type grades. Highway 50 in Nevada isn't always friendly, the rumble strip design makes the shoulder unusable at times - another reason for early departures. I know you are familiar with most of the route. Plan it for the most advantageous weather and go for it!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The view from the top was earned after 4 hours of labor with numerous short rest breaks. If everyone had to earn the view like we did, the view would be admired and appreciated for the truly magnificent scene it is.

View From The Top; We Earned It
Heart 0 Comment 0

We’ve been higher, and we’ll go even higher before we are done, but still there is no discounting the rarified and clean air at 9,600 feet.

We Paid The Price To Reach This Summit, Now We Get To Enjoy Some Downhill
Heart 0 Comment 0

This is a photo of a waterfall on Pleasant Creek as we descended towards Torrey. It was taken using “normal” settings for aperture and shutter speed, and as you can see, this is quite an energetic little waterfall.

Waterfall Shot Using Normal (Fast) Shutter Speed
Heart 0 Comment 0

This is a photo of the same waterfall using a slow shutter speed to “blur” the water. See the difference?

Waterfall Shot Using Slow Shutter Speed Gives The Silky "Flowing" Appearance
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we proceeded towards Torrey (mostly downhill; we did the hard work early today, most of the rest of the day is generally downhill, thank you) we pulled into a scenic view area and were able to see the Henry Mountains in the background.

Henry Mountains In The Background; Doc Likes This
Heart 0 Comment 0

Doc’s family name is Henry, so that’s special. And our destination for today, Hanksville, is adjacent to the Henry Mountains and serves as a base for mountain tourists.

We have been following Highway 12 since its beginning shortly before Bryce Canyon, and we have now reached its end at Torrey. Our path now follows USBR 70, also known as Highway 24, until we reach Hanksville.

We Followed Highway 12 All The Way, Time To Follow USBR 70
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped at Torrey and had lunch; it was good to refuel as the morning's labor had left us rather empty. Leaving Torrey we had a small climb, then a long downhill run.

So far, our route has taken us through Cedar Breaks National Monument, Bryce Canyon National Park, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, and now we ride through Capitol Reef National Park.

Entering Capitol Reef National Monument; Prepare For Eye Candy
Heart 0 Comment 0

Later we will ride through parts of the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area and Natural Bridges National Monument, and we have gone past or near other national parks such as the Great Basin National Monument and state parks such as the Anasazi State Park in Boulder, UT. While we are tourists, we are only “casual” tourists in the sense that each day’s travel has to be our primary focus and tourist activities have to take a lesser priority. It’s sort of a survival thing.

Entering Capitol Reef National Park, we enjoyed a 10-mile downhill run courtesy of the labor we did this morning.

Doc and Sis Enjoy The 10-Mile Downhill Run Through Capitol Reef
Heart 0 Comment 1
Kelly Iniguezit looks like the visitor's center might be to the right of this photo. We were on the uphill this summer - that is the hill that about did me in. Actually, it was the heat combined with the climb, and no air movement. I was in rough shape when I got to town.

What are you doing, being hot shots, and skipping an overnight in Torrey? 80some mile day. Show offs!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The scenery in Capitol Reef is spectacular; geologic weathering processes at work. There is so much eye candy that you can suffer a sensory overload. Here’s a few examples;

An Overload Of Amazing Scenery Exists Within Capitol Reef
Heart 0 Comment 0
Capitol Reef Eye Candy
Heart 1 Comment 0
Capitol Reef Scenery (Photo Credit; Doc)
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was a milestone day for me. First, 2 miles into today my touring bike odometer reached 9,000 miles. Considering that more than half of those miles are from actual loaded touring, that’s not bad (the remainder of the miles are from training to prepare for tours). Second, today I reached 1,000 miles on this tour. That still seems (and feels) like a lot to me. Here’s a shot of me at the Capitol Reef Visitor Center after reaching 1,000 miles.

Bud Just Logged 1,000 Miles On This Journey! (Photo Credit; Doc)
Heart 1 Comment 0

The ride along the Fremont River in the canyon was really nice, and the canyon walls provided some protection from the sun.

Along The Fremont River Within Capitol Reef (Photo Credit; Doc)
Heart 0 Comment 0

While we were in the canyon, a storm was developing south of us. Memories of the cold drenching we endured recently were enough to inspire Sis to move on smartly, and we set about on a steady march hoping to avoid the storm. Here’s some scenery as we approached Caineville;

View Near Caineville (Photo Credit; Doc)
Heart 0 Comment 0
View Near Caineville (Photo Credit; Doc)
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the downhill run to the river crossing before Caineville, the grade was steep and the storm was producing a good tailwind; Doc and I both hit 46 mph on the new pavement! We stopped at a motel near Caineville and were able to get some ice from the machine outside. The cold water was fantastic! We then commenced a steady march towards Hanksville, while another storm was forming north of us. The storm clouds provided a bit of shade relief, and gave us more incentive to move along. Here’s some scenery along the way;

A Storm Is Coming
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Storm Is Developing (Photo Credit; Doc)
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Developing Storm Let Us Ride In Some Shade (Photo Credit; Doc)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scenery Approaching Hanksville
Heart 1 Comment 0
More Scenery Near Hanksville
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scenery Near Hanksville
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scenery Near Hanksville
Heart 0 Comment 0

Here’s a view of the Fremont River near Hanksville;

Scenery Near Hanksville
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we entered Hanksville, we encountered a business selling these unusual sculptures. Now where have I seen such interesting work before? Transam riders might know the answer (hint; think Wyoming).

Interesting Sculptures For Sale At A Hanksville Business
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was a record day for Doc and Sis as they both rode further than ever before. When you consider that was done on loaded touring bikes, and the first 4 hours was nothing but climbing, that’s a meaningful accomplishment indeed.

84 Miles Is A Record Day For Doc and Sis
Heart 0 Comment 0

That’s all from me for now. Tomorrow we get a rest day; after 4 hard days, we deserve it. We are facing the biggest challenge of this tour the day(s) after tomorrow, and we will all spend tomorrow deciding how to handle it. Good night, I think we will sleep soundly tonight…

Today's ride: 84 miles (135 km)
Total: 1,029 miles (1,656 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0