Day 20, Panguitch to Escalante: Memorable Monumental Day As Sis Discovers The Meaning Of Adventure - Searching For a Heart Attack on the Western Express - CycleBlaze

August 11, 2017

Day 20, Panguitch to Escalante: Memorable Monumental Day As Sis Discovers The Meaning Of Adventure

Panguitch, UT to Escalante, UT
Heart 0 Comment 0

Mileage Today; 68   Total So Far; 918   Remaining; 686

Climbing Today; 3,334 ft   Total So Far; 51,650   Remaining; 41,473

Max Grade Today; approx 14%

Mechanical Issues; None

Departing Panguitch in the cool early morn, we were reminded of the necessity to book ahead for rooms - fortunately, we had booked the entire 5-week trip in advance. If it became necessary to do so, we knew that we could always skip a rest day to stay on schedule - but so far the schedule was working out well.

No Vacancy Is The Story Everywhere - Book Early!
Heart 0 Comment 0

It's nice to see the U.S. Bicycle Route System signs; if for no other reason, at least they show the motoring public that bicycles are also part of the transportation system.

USBR Signs Point The Way As Sis And Doc Ride Towards Bryce Canyon
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was to be a day of much scenic beauty, and that's an apt description for most every day in southwest Utah.

Red Canyon Scenery (Photo Credit; Doc)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tunnel In Red Canyon (Photo Credit; Doc)
Heart 0 Comment 0

A bike path paralleling the highway made for a relaxed ride.

Parallel Bike Path
Heart 0 Comment 0

Interesting to see grade signs on a bike path; I think this is the first time I have seen such.

Steep Grade Ahead For Bicycles (Photo Credit; Sis)
Heart 0 Comment 0

Some antelope were grazing near the bike path.

Antelope Near Bryce Canyon
Heart 0 Comment 0

Maybe this is an omen for today; 7 is a lucky number, right?

Lucky Number 7 Means Today Is Special
Heart 0 Comment 0

Well now, here's some truth in advertising.

Finally, Some Truth In Advertising!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our path today goes through a corner of Bryce Canyon.

Our Path Cuts Through A Small Portion Of Bryce Canyon
Heart 0 Comment 0

As you enter the canyon area, you experience a good downhill run with a sampling of the scenery that makes the Canyon so popular.

Slow to Impulse, Prepare For Descent Into Bryce Canyon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bryce Canyon Scenery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bryce Canyon Scenery Is Breath-Taking
Heart 0 Comment 0
More Bryce Canyon Scenery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sis Rolls Off Towards Henrieville
Heart 0 Comment 0

Doc's last name is Henry, so even though the spelling is different the Henrieville sign had some appeal for a photo op.

Sis and Doc Near Henrieville
Heart 0 Comment 0

And a few shots of the afternoon ride. It did get interesting later.

Roadside Rock Formation
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bud Rides Off With Sis In The Lead
Heart 0 Comment 0

We encountered some construction that proved to be a bit problematic. Just past the photo below was the steepest grade we encountered on the whole trip, and we had to dodge construction activities that seemed to alternate from one side of the road to the other - and then a hard downpour of cold rain hit us!

Construction Gave Us A Bit Of An Ordeal
Heart 0 Comment 0

I rode ahead of Doc and Sis - the grade became so steep that it was very hard to pedal and I was beat by the time I reached the summit.

The Rain Commenced Before We Reached The Summit
Heart 0 Comment 0

I set up Harvey in preparation for a summit photo of us in the rain. Sis was soaked and cold and not too happy at this time. But hey, we were on top and it was downhill the rest of the way, so the work is done and I'm smiling.

Who's Afraid Of A Little Rain? (Sis Isn't Happy)
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was a cold ride down to Escalante. The rain quit but we were experiencing the air-conditioner effect of evaporation and we stopped a couple of times just to warm up. Once we got down we quickly found our hotel and checked in, had a warm shower, then headed out for a great barbecue meal; I had brisket and it really hit the spot. Walking back, we saw the 2nd double-rainbow I had encountered on this journey.

A Beautiful Double Rainbow To End The Day; (Bud's 2nd Double Rainbow of The Trip!)
Heart 0 Comment 0

Life is good for us - a bit of an uphill challenge in the cold rain, but it was followed by a downhill run and a double rainbow! We should all be so lucky - good night my friends...

Today's ride: 68 miles (109 km)
Total: 916 miles (1,474 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0