Day 17, Milford to Cedar City: Groovacious Ride Today - Searching For a Heart Attack on the Western Express - CycleBlaze

August 8, 2017

Day 17, Milford to Cedar City: Groovacious Ride Today

NOTE; You can leave a comment or question for us by using the “Comment” feature located near the bottom of the page. We enjoy getting these and will respond as soon as we have internet service (some places we stay don’t have it or the wifi is just too weak to be useable). Thanks!

Milford, UT to Cedar City, UT
Heart 0 Comment 0

Mileage Today; 57   Total So Far; 792   Remaining; 804

Climbing Today; 2,172   Total So Far; 43,335   Remaining; 52,947

Max Grade; 5.1%   Average Uphill Grade; 1.2%

Average Speed While Riding; 7.0 mph (approx.)

Mechanical Issues; None

Photos credit; Bud, unless noted otherwise

Bud speaking;

I felt rather undernourished after yesterday’s marathon ride, and since Penny’s Diner is open 24 hours I enjoyed a “real” breakfast this morning of bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, and sourdough toast with jam. I couldn’t believe there was enough business for Penny’s to remain open 24/7 as I was the only person in the diner at 4:00am. When I asked how they did it, I was told that they had a contract with the railroad that required them to stay open all the time so railroad crews could be fed. So now I know.

Penny's Diner Really Is Open 24 Hours
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the early morning darkness I missed the turnoff for the alternate route to Minersville, so I just stayed on Highway 121. The shoulder was good when I needed it, and there wasn’t much traffic anyway. A storm was brewing as I was approaching Minersville, and I thought this may be a day when I get soaked early.

It Was A Stormy Morning
Heart 0 Comment 0

As I neared Minersville, a beautiful rainbow appeared as the sun tried to rise;

An Omen For Today?
Heart 0 Comment 0

If you look closely at the rainbow photo, you can see a second rainbow just to the left of center. The USBRS does not always follow the same path as the ACA routes. Because I missed the turn for the ACA route this morning, I actually stayed on USBR 79;

U.S. Bicycle Route 79 Is My Path
Heart 0 Comment 0

I stopped at the convenience store in Minersville and got some fuel for my bicycle’s engine; chocolate milk and a pastry fit the bill. You couldn’t see the rainbow from the store, so I showed the photo to the the ladies working behind the counter. One of them told me that her husband had been a cyclist but that he was killed by a driver 13 years ago. All righty then; on that cheery note I headed out to commence today’s long climb. It was raining, though not too hard, so I donned the rain jacket and cruised off. The local pooch who had been friendly at the store decided to lead me for a couple of blocks, and he ran back and forth in front of me as though he was saying “Follow Me! This is the way.” The pooch grew tired of escorting me and soon I was on my own. I had been warned by others that this was a steep, twisting, narrow road with lots of traffic and no shoulders. They were wrong on most accounts, and it was actually a very pleasant ascent as far as these things can be. The traffic was rather light, there weren’t many sharp turns and there was always at least a little bit of shoulder.  Just like the last several ascents, this one just required a long sustained effort. My bicycle got tired at times, so we stopped for breaks as needed.

The Bike Needs A Break - I Could Use One Too
Heart 0 Comment 0

I don’t understand most bicycle-related highway signs. Here’s one;

Only Share The Road For The Next 33 Miles?
Heart 0 Comment 0

I think it’s great to inform motorists that the road is to be shared with cyclists, but what is the point of the 33 miles? Are motorists to only share the road for the next 33 miles? Most bicycle-related highway signs just aren’t very well thought out.

The little rain shower this morning was nothing, though it did cause me to don the rain jacket. But I guess I’m a big sissy, because the Hula Girl just kept on dancing right through the storm.

The Hula Girl Just Kept On Dancing Right Through The Rain
Heart 0 Comment 0

Apparently, this summit has no name. Eventually I reached the crest of this pass with no name.

Today's Glory Photo is A Summit With No Name
Heart 0 Comment 0

It’s a long way down to Cedar City. And as the profile shows, it’s not all down; you get a nice little free ride, but then you have to work a bit to get on in to the city. Once again, distances can deceive you out here.

Cedar City Is On The Right Side, Snuggled Up Against The Mountains
Heart 0 Comment 0

I was feeling rather groovy after having completed the major climb of the day. But I was only close; apparently I should have been feeling groovacious;

I Was Feeling Rather Groovacious Because The Day Was Going Well
Heart 1 Comment 0

And once again, exactly what is meant by this sign?

Bicycles Next 10 Miles Only? What Does This Sign Mean?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Does it mean to be observant and cautious of bikes on the road for the next 10 miles? Why just 10 miles, as the distance to Cedar City is about 20 miles? Should drivers not be cautious of bicycles after 10 miles? Bicycle highway signs just don’t make much sense, but at least they may point out to drivers that bicycles could be on the road; but that’s a fact most anywhere anyway.

This farm had a very long fence constructed on native stone; a good use of the stone I suppose.

A Stone Wall Fortifies This Farm
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today’s flower is a sunflower. Unless Bill tells us different, that is.

Today's Flower Is A Sunflower
Heart 0 Comment 0

I’ve been riding for several days in weather conditions that are ripe for flash flooding, and cautions have been issued by the National Weather Service. This is the first example of flooding I have seen.

First Flash Flood Example I Have Encountered
Heart 0 Comment 0

I finally got into Cedar City and proceeded along Main Street to the Knight’s Inn Motel. It seemed to take a long time to get there; I think I am tired from the last several days. Folks are friendly here and several cheered me on or waved, as a loaded touring bike is obviously being ridden by a traveler. Sis and Doc are due to arrive by plane tonight, and a new chapter begins. Night all…

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 790 miles (1,271 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0