Day 10 Elsewhere; The Fate of Sis and Doc: It Ain't Over Till The Fat Lady Sings - Searching For a Heart Attack on the Western Express - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2017

Day 10 Elsewhere; The Fate of Sis and Doc: It Ain't Over Till The Fat Lady Sings

The Ongoing Saga of Sis and Doc

Doc speaking:

Sis and I had anticipated problems related to the heat, fatigue, saddles, and knee pain (she had a steroid injection 10 days before the trip), but we never expected to have to interrupt the trip due to a painful palm. We had been riding 100-180 miles and climbing 8-10,000 ft per week in the Arkansas heat and humidity, and she tolerated that well. Her bike was set up with a riding position just a little more upright than her Specialized Ruby street bike, and bar shapers gave a broad alternative for the hands. We had shortened the stem but had not raised the handlebar. Sis must have kept such a death grip on the bar while climbing out of the Sacramento Valley alongside busy traffic lanes that she had injured her left ulnar nerve by the second day. Despite pain in the lateral half of her palm, numbness and tingling of two fingers, and a weakened grip, she pressed on without complaining. She ultimately had such inflammation and discomfort in her palm that she could no longer grasp the bar with her left hand.

As I was enjoying the desert scenery and the eerie juxtaposition of ghosts of pony express riders with unseen naval jets far above the Top Gun training range, Sis was trying to manage crosswinds with one hand while dodging the dragon's teeth and occasional speeding truckers. With her safety in question, we finally had to quit after riding 48 miles from Fallon to Middlegate Station. (Population 15 and not far from nowhere). After a brief interval of panic over what to do next, Sarah and Cam dropped in to grab some cold drinks on their way back to Fallon. Cam was practicing driving, and they professed to be just thirsty rather than angels of mercy in answer to our prayers. Bud had discussed the kindness of strangers during previous travels, and we were the beneficiaries that day.

Sarah and Cam Saved The Day
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our good fortune did not end there. They were going to Reno the following day, so we hitched another ride and told Leon at Sierra Cyclesmith our woeful tale. He proposed a 4" stem extension and lengthening of the front and rear hydraulic brake lines as a much better alternative than turning tail and flying home. I had never even anticipated that brake lines could be extended in order to so radically alter the riding position, but a test drive in the parking lot with front brake caliper disconnected demonstrated that it would take all the weight off of Judy's sore hand. We are grateful for his kindness and expertise that saved the trip for us.

Maybe A Banana Bike With High Handlebars Would Work?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Bars Get Raised on Sis's Bike
Heart 0 Comment 0

Leon raised the bars and shipped our bikes to Cedar City, UT, where we plan to intersect Bud after a week-long layover in San Francisco. My two younger brothers are VPs of separate large interior design firms with offices here. We flew into the new SFO terminal that Jeff helped design, and we are staying in a hotel where Steve did the lobby. We don't want to expand much upon our experience here, lest we irritate Bud and bore the reader.

Although it will be months before Sis has any return of ulnar nerve function, we expect that the inflammation and discomfort in her left hand will improve to the point that she can enjoy the rest of the trip. We will have to vicariously enjoy this week through Bud's journal and photos.

Never slow down

Never give up

Never grow old

Never, ever die young

(James Taylor)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0