Seattle Nature Walk - Grampies Hawaiian Escape Winter 2016 (with brief 2019 update) - CycleBlaze

January 9, 2016

Seattle Nature Walk

Tomorrow we fly to Kona. Although the airport there receives international flights it is a refreshing change from any big city destinations. Rather there is just a cluster of almost hut like structures. It's low key and relaxing. But today we are in Seattle, in the area we were saying is overrun by cars.

Seattle is a huge urban area, with heavy traffic in most parts. It is not particularly bicycle friendly, but there are pockets of serenity.
Heart 0 Comment 0

So do they have anything relaxing here? It turns out the answer is yes, because pockets of natural environment persist within the urban sprawl. In fact, Laurie pulled out her book of 110 walks within 30 minutes of Seattle. Now that, of course, is walks. As for bikeways, the situation is more complex. In the summer we are planning to take the kids on one of the few longish bike paths in the area - the Burke Gilman. But that's for later. Today the family drove over to one of the 110 walks, the Mercer Slough. Here there are 6 miles of level trails in a wetland that also includes a blueberry farm. Nothing to wreck Dodie's knees before the cycle!

110 Nature Walks
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering the Mercer Slough (I dare you to say "slough" correctly the first time round)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Laurie says these are poplar willow hybrids. They look a bit like eastern paper birch, but of course they are not.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shelf fungi
Heart 0 Comment 0
Checking the bird books we took along. We saw one bird only, but at least it was a giant pileated woodpecker.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kids can tire early. At least this one had an available Sherpa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0