Packing Up - Grampies Hawaiian Escape Winter 2016 (with brief 2019 update) - CycleBlaze

January 2, 2015

Packing Up

Just as we think it is important to the story to explain who we are and what we think we are doing, we think some preliminary accounts, from before the pedaling actually begins, are good for background and even to build our own anticipation of the ride. One tale that people often tell is the saga of "Packing Up". Some diligent folks provide complete equipment lists at this point. And some describe how their bikes got boxed.

But for our own selves, topics like these are getting kind of old hat. We think we (and everyone else) know well what equipment to take and how to put Bike Fridays into their cases. So even a chaos photo like this one from last year is not really applicable any more.

The bad old days?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Well, not quite. First off, we did find a way to squabble a bit over whether a bike had been folded properly, and over how much disassembly was really necessary. Dodie wanted more disassembly, since that makes her job of getting the bikes and as much other stuff as possible into the cases easier. I like less disassembly, since that make the job of getting going on the other end faster. "We have a whole day to get the bikes together in Kona", she argued. 'Ok, ok, ok", I ungraciously conceded (while still leaving the kickstands attached).

The real thing about packing up is the pleasure it brings when it is done. This is not just from the idea that when the time comes to walk out the door, the cases are ready to go. Packing up also includes cleaning up what is left behind. That means the counters are clear, the fridge is empty, the floor is clean. Why is this so important? After all, won't we clog the counters, fill the fridge, and muck up the floor the instant we walk back in when the trip is done? In terms of the life of the house, the period of being clean is only a brief flash.

So why do it? Well, not sure, but do you remember in Fiddler on the Roof - when Tevye and Golde had to leave their house in Anatevka, Golde's last thing was to sweep the floor. This even though the house would likely be demolished. "I don't want to leave a dirty house". Don't remember? Look here:

Dodie is doing her Golde impression.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The other thing about being packed up is that it marks the point at which all your possessions, all that you really need that is, can be found in just a few bags. What's more, there is little question about where pieces of your stuff are. After all, if you have just two pairs of socks, it's hard to misplace them. At home you may have to answer questions like "Where do I have the DVD of Kung Fu Season 2 Episode 4?" and so forth.

So now, our counters are clear, our minds are clear, and we are on our way!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0