Hits: (or not) - Grampies Hawaiian Escape Winter 2016 (with brief 2019 update) - CycleBlaze

February 13, 2016

Hits: (or not)

Sometimes we find ourselves riding a long or lonely road, maybe in heavy traffic, maybe in cold rain. Sometimes we are cold, or hurting. At times like those it is very comforting to think that "many" people are following along, maybe sending out some kind of psychic energy to help us get by. Of course in practical terms there is little that people can do, although there have been some notable exceptions. But psychologically, it still helps.

On the other side of the coin, sometimes we encounter things or people or places of tremendous beauty, or foods of exceptional yummyness. Then we like to feel like we are sharing the things, and by sharing we enjoy them all the more.

Finally, we often run into things that we lack the time or experience to figure out - usually plants or animals, but sometimes buildings or even economic situations. Then, people who are following the trip may be able to contribute the correct name or given an analysis of something - through the guestbook.

These are the reasons that we track the blog's hits on a daily basis. The more hits the more sharing is going on, and the more reason to put in the often great effort (and cost) of writing the blog each day.

Because the hit count only measures the number of times pages are loaded, and not the number of unique people doing the loading, it may not be the perfect measure. On the other hand, according to the internet analytics site ALEXA, the average number of daily hits per person for the Crazyguy site overall is 4. Now hang on, because this is a bit subtle, but if people typically looked only at our blog, then 800 hits for us in a day would mean 200 people. But we modestly expect people come to Crazyguy to look at more than one blog, so 800 hits could mean as many as 800 people. We rather prefer that assumption!

Well then, how did we do this year with the circle of Hawaii? For the main run of the blog, about Jan 10 to Feb 10, there were 689 average daily hits. 689 companions on the road (if that what it is) seems awfully encouraging. On the other hand, for the same trip last year that average was almost 1000. So that leaves us crying in our Mai Tai and wondering what happened.

Could it be that this trip was a rerun? We hope not. As mentioned in the previous page, we did a lot of new things and learned a lot. Have we forgotten how to write or take photos? Naw. So, it's a bit mystifying. At least we are sure that right now, at least, YOU are reading the blog! (Keep it up, there is still at least one more page to come. Also watch for more Grampies blogs, coming in the Summer and Fall!)

A rocky road. Average hits were quite down compared to last year.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The blue bars are this year (showing percent of all hits in each category), red is last year. Most days brought between 600 and 700 hits this year. Last year, almost 1000!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0