Day 18: Hilo: Arnott's to Wild Ginger - Grampies Hawaiian Escape Winter 2016 (with brief 2019 update) - CycleBlaze

January 28, 2016

Day 18: Hilo: Arnott's to Wild Ginger

Although Arnott's is a little out of the way in relation to downtown Hilo, it sits near a bit of Hilo Bay that features at least seven beach parks, just lined up almost one after another, out towards the East and Lelewi Point. We set off in that easterly direction, to scout out the beaches and find a good place to jump in. There is lots of choice, since the coast line here has lots of little rocky bays and inlets, interspersed with micro sand beaches and great kiddy type pools. All along at the beach parks there are a variety of restrooms and covered shelters. It really is a beautiful situation.

Our map shows a dotted line - maybe a trail - heading south from the point and towards the macadamia nut factory. We followed along this area by a rutted dirt road for a while, but did not persevere long enough to see what the final trail might be about. There really was no reason to make this a quest, because highway 11 is good enough for getting to the macadamias and beyond. On the other hand, it could be that there is a trail all along the coast to Puna. Some adventurer who reads this might want to check it out, just for fun.

We headed back from the point and randomly chose a little beach. I liked it a lot, but Dodie balked at what she deemed to be too cool water. People who know us would easily predict this outcome. We carried on and again randomly chose one of the shelters to eat our sandwiches. As we sat and enjoyed the view, two SCUBA divers emerged from the water. What fun.

Some of Arnott's fleet of tour vans. They seem to have over a dozen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pond on the way to the point.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road becomes like this, but we don't known what any trail beyond might be like.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical view in east Hilo
Heart 0 Comment 0
A good kiddy pool.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The swimming hole we finally chose
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our picnic shelter
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scuba divers emerged by our shelter
Heart 0 Comment 0

One stop we made was at a beach and ponds that surrounded soemthing called the Richardson Ocean Centre. We were interested there to see a large crew of blue clad school kids doing a cleanup of the pond area. It looked a lot like it could be kids from our daughter Joni's school in Belize.

Kids on a clean up mission at the Richardson centre.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Inside the Centre we found yet another double hull canoe model and display about the Hokule'a's worldwide canoe journey. It seems like that is only one of more than a half dozen boats that have been launched since 1975 by the Polynesian Voyaging Society. The society seems to be part of a cultural revival, intermixed with environmental goals and consciousness. We support that, and we like their values, which are listed as:

Aloha - To love
Malama - To care for
Imi 'Iki - To seek knowledge
Lokomaika'i - To share with each other
Na'au Pono - to nuture a deep sense of justice
Olakino Maika'i - To live healhily
Kuleana - Responsibility and the chance to contribute

Only thing, when these values get mixed up with religious mumbo jumbo, ceremonies, and the like, they lose us big time.

Even the dalai Llama got in on the Polynesian canoe voyage thing
Heart 0 Comment 0

Really our agenda for this day was just to slowly mosey over to the north end of town, where we had reservations at the Wild Ginger hotel and hostel. We included a circuit on Banyan Drive again. We like this semi circular loop with its hotels and banyan trees because it is calm and shady. Suffering a bit of a brain glitch, we bought two chocolate bars along the way. This was a glitch because we had also included Big Island Candies in our mosey. Big Island has lots of tasters set out for their cookies and chocolates. The bars were cute version of Snickers, though. Dodie came out ans asked me if I were crabby or sleepy - see the photo.

Big Island is a place where you really can see how the staff is making the products. We were amazed to see ladies standing at counters meticulously hand crafting the cookies and other products. Standing there all day and concentrating on the detailed work seemed like a tiring way to make a living. Still, one lady who was so carefully untangling and bundling cuttlefish strands looked up and gave us a big smile.

At the Candy/Cookie factory. many shelves like this, with lots fo free samples and coffee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cuttlefish lady
Heart 0 Comment 0

Finally at Wild Ginger, we were pleased that the staff remembered us. This time instead of being in the really cheap hostel accommodation in the basement, we had a real room upstairs. This was great because we could roll our bikes on a single level right to the room. On the other hand, they asked if our wheel were muddy, and I denied that it was even possible, since there has been no rain here in days. " Yes, but what about other dirt from the street?" said the man. "Well, no more than on my shoes", was my retort.

So that's why I was a little further miffed as I headed into the lobby to find a book to help with balancing my tablet on the bed. I had taken off my shoes and socks, and felt I was now in super not messing up their (tile) floor mode. But right away the man jumped on me and said I was transgressing the no bare feet in the lobby rule. Sheesh. Am I back in school? I think I will try running in the corridor and see what happens.

Oh, oh, better not do any lounging in the grass
Heart 0 Comment 0
I chose Sleepy, Dodie was Cranky
Heart 0 Comment 0
Keawe St is a slightly funky backstreet of Hilo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our room at the Wild Ginger
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from our room!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 18 km (11 miles)
Total: 598 km (371 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0