Tamahere to Hetherington Downs, Huntly. - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 4 - CycleBlaze

December 14, 2020

Tamahere to Hetherington Downs, Huntly.

Mostly a day cycling the Waikato  River.

 They start laying the concrete foundations of the new build close by, at 7:30am. There are emphatic sounds of men, and maybe some women, yelling instructions as a team of about 20 sets about with a will. We set about breakfast with the same alacrity and then set about packing. Soon we are off. Friend Nigel generously offers to show us the way to the outskirts of Hamilton on his ebike and with one or two twists and turns we are quickly delivered to the new cycleway being built close to Hamilton Gardens. The roadworks here look pretty extensive, but the provision for cyclists is impressive.

Approaching Hamilton on new cycleway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hamilton Gardens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We farewell Nigel when we reach the river. Ann had hoped for a swift recce of the gardens but we decide that they deserve a day on their own and so will return. Either the cycle path along the southern motorway will reach Hamilton or the much touted commuter train between Auckland and Hamilton will be established next year. The route through the city along the river is pleasant and cool with a track that is paved but well compacted. Trees and shrubs, many in flower, flank the path. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Houses along the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Under Victoria Bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A View from The Bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We cross Victoria Bridge in search of a latte. This we find at a glass fronted health and exercise place from which some extremely buff customers saunter in and out. Curiously, a number of the commercial buildings along the river side are empty. I wonder if this is part of a plan to remove them, with the idea to open up the city to the magnificence of the river. Remembering how this adds to the appeal of some of the cities along the Danube and the Rhine, it seems a commendable idea. Following our latte break, we head down to the river and continue along the path to the other side of the city.

Back on the River Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There are signs that the river is used for water activities, although there are no boats to be seen on the water today. In the past riverboats plied cargoes and people up and down this river and others like it. Although the water quality looks ok, there seem to be few safe spots for swimming, though no doubt it happens. The general view seems to be that this part is unsafe. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The day is hot and we’re looking forward to lunch. We decide on stopping at Ngaruawhahia, a small town south of Hamilton. The town’s name means ‘break open the food pits’ and that is what we intend to do. The path has become much more open as we leave Hamilton behind us. We cross a beautifully designed bridge which takes us across the river and eventually into the leafy suburbs of Ngaruawhahia. Although we have passed though the town by car before, we have never approached it from this street or at this pace, and as so often happens when cycling, we gain a complete different view of the town and note how many ‘heritage’ houses still remain alongside the river.

New housing- hopefully before too long Mother Nature will hide this in foliage. Big foliage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The riverscape opens up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The city is behind us now.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wonderful suspension bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ngaruawhahia in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After finding a supermarket, from which we buy supplies for lunch and dinner, we relax and eat in a conveniently close and shady  green space next door. Locals are friendly and a couple comment on the laid back scene we’ve created under a tree. The final part of the day’s journey is to be on road, but we will be following the river on its west side as it rolls on to Huntly where we will leave it to make its way to the sea at Port Waikato. We cross the river to Hakarimata Road and pedal on. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We make very good time. It is flat, there’s very little traffic and no wind. The road continues on, following every bend in the river on our right. When the chimneys of the Huntly power station loom into sight on the horizon, the road becomes Riverside, then somewhat prosaically, Harris Street. It is off Harris Street that Hetherington Road runs. And therein is our Airbnb accommodation for the night. And the question we are all asking- why is Huntly called Huntly. Apparently it was named after the Scottish home town of the postmaster in 1870. Who can blame him, but the Maori name, Rahui Pokeka has a nice ring to it too. Interestingly, until 1867, Ngaruawhahia was named Newcastle-good move to change that!

Hetherington would be a very quiet country road, with a couple of climbs and some nice views of Lake Waahi on our left, were it not for the fact that there is a sizeable quarry, frequented by very sizeable trucks. The turnoff to the quarry is after about 2 Kilometres. The drivers, are very considerate though, and I sense the company may be keen to keep the public onside, because we have read of some opposition to one of their major projects. Soon we find the house number we are looking for and cycle down off the road to the cutest little cottage, which has the most inviting sofa out front under the veranda. There’s even a new washing machine. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

It’s been a long day of 60+ kilometres, but we’ve loved the river trail and we’re relieved that the road was easily managed and was such a good surface. Tomorrow’s route, the final 50 or so to Pukekohe is a bit of a mystery as yet, but we’ll deal with that tomorrow. With dinner over we read and listen to the restful cow sounds outside. Pretty soon it’s bedtime.

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 354 km (220 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0