Huntly to Mt Albert, Auckland - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 4 - CycleBlaze

December 15, 2020

Huntly to Mt Albert, Auckland

Leave the river behind and head for spud country.

After breakfast, we’re off quite early on what promises to be a warm day. There are glimpses of Lake Waahi in the distance as we head back to the main road, which is mostly downhill. It’s beautiful in the morning air and even though the quarry trucks have also made an early start, they give us plenty of space. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Back on the main road, which becomes Te Ohaki Road, we continue following the river as it wends it’s way northwest. There’s almost no traffic at all and it’s great day for cycling. Ohaki Road becomes Glen Murray Road  until the Churchill Road turn-off. Our progress until now has been pretty rapid. Churchill Road turns out to be gravel for a couple of kilometres until we reach the Pukekawa Churchill Road. We are beginning to have to negotiate a few challenging climbs, though the gradient is fine.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Verdant farmland in mid morning sun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Never far from the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The junction with Highway 22 comes up eventually. This is the road that will take us through to Pukekohe, from where we will catch the train to Auckland. It seems to have a reasonable shoulder. Just past the junction is the Onewhero Golf Club where we think a latte might be available. It isn’t, but the kind woman at the office tells us that the garage/general store will do one. This turns out to be at the top of a long climb during which I am passed by a massive logging truck accelerating with a full load to reach the top of the hill. The slipstream is scary but at least I hear it coming and pull over as far as possible. The general store is owned by a chatty chap, whose school aged son acts as barista and prepares us two excellent lattes. We sit and talk for a while.

The landscape from here shows the benefits of Pukekohe’s excellent soil. Fields of onions and potatoes. One hopes that the spread of residential housing doesn’t deprive the region of this wonderfully arable loam.

Know your onions.
Heart 1 Comment 0

From a gentle ascent, the final bridge becomes visible. We cruise downhill to the Tuakau Bridge, a single lane structure controlled by lights. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Once across, we simply follow the road, which has a good 2 metre shoulder- necessary, when trucks and trailers hauling Pukekohe’s finest potatoes regularly rumble past. Soon though, the 50 kph signs appear and things become calmer. We cycle through Pukekohe’s commercial district and just as I ask, ‘Where’s the station?’ There it is.

Lunch in the shade, before catching our train.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have time for a spot of lunch before boarding the train taking us, with a couple of changes, to Mt Albert Station. 

Heart 0 Comment 3
Mike AylingI didn't realise that you Kiwis were still wearing masks on public transport. We still do so here in Victoria although our neighbours across the river in NSW don't. OTOH they have a lot of cases now while we in Vic seem to have it under control.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Mike AylingAn interesting ride. We might come across the ditch and do it when things settle down.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Ann HutchingTo Mike AylingIt was a revelation to find so much of it off road. Have checked out your description of local routes and will keep in mind for when we too can “cross the ditch”. (Two sons and a grand daughter in Melbourne to see. )
Reply to this comment
3 years ago

We leave this station and pedal the final kilometre home. All is as we left it, garden a little dry, perhaps, but all well. It’s only been 7 days, but it’s the longest New Zealand cycle ride we’ve done, and although some of it has been over familiar territory, we’ve revelled in the difference in perspective one gets from the saddle of a bicycle.

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 417 km (259 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Kathleen JonesWhat a nice little tour. Thanks for taking us along.

Please let all of us on CycleBlaze move to NZ so we can tour with impunity too.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Robyn RichardsIt's lovely to read a home-grown journal , thanks. . . Familiar places seen from the unfamiliar perspective of a cycle tourer.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Ann HutchingTo Robyn RichardsHi Robyn, it was exciting to find so much off road riding. The route from Matamata to Karipiro was not busy, as the tourist traffic to Hobbiton is much reduced, and drivers there, were considerate.
Enjoyed reading your November trip. We did that early 2019, and rode out through the Wainuiomata valley after leaving the wonderfully wild coast.
Planning underway for a South Island sortie for end of Feb.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Ann HutchingTo Kathleen JonesThanks Kathleen. Your comment led me to your local tour, and reminded us of our stay in Mountain View in 2009. Our friends sent us off on their bikes, and we covered some of the trail you described.
We are most fortunate here in NZ. Kia kaha ( Take care, Be strong. )
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Robyn RichardsTo Ann HutchingWill follow your SI trip with interest. We tend to do day cycle trips down here, travelling in a motorhome. Though would happily repeat Alps to Ocean one day.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago