Auckland to Orere Point - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 4 - CycleBlaze

December 9, 2020

Auckland to Orere Point

All at sea to start then coasting along.

The plan!
Heart 0 Comment 0

With COVID preventing any thoughts of touring abroad, this year’s trips have been strictly local. The idea to make use of the 40 minute ferry trip to Pine Harbour as an easy means of escaping Auckland’s suburbs and so embark on the Hauraki Rail Trail, seemed an enticing possibility. The trail begins at kaiaua on the Firth of Thames and continues about 150kms  south to the Waikato town of Matamata. From here there is a cycle path to be picked up at Lake Karapiro, about a day’s ride west from Matamata, via Middle Earth and Hobbiton, the location of Peter Jackson’s Tolkien film. This cycle path, though unfinished, runs all the way from Cambridge, through Hamilton, to Ngaruawhahia, more than 60kms north. Some useful information is available on The New Zealand Cycle Trail app, though there are always gaps that leave one wondering about being stranded on a state highway oppressed by thundering logging trucks. The final section, Ngaruawhahia to Pukekohe, just south of Auckland, and where we planned to catch the train home, seemed to comprise about 60kms of small roads. The challenge of a new route, though short, was not to be denied.

Panniers loaded, though without a tent or camping gear this time, we head out of our street and directly onto the cycle lane that takes us to the cycle path running alongside the Northwestern motorway and down Grafton Gulley to the Auckland Waterfront. 

Cyclepath to the waterfront.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We cover the 8kms quickly knowing we’re cutting things a little fine but the 9:50 am ferry is just pulling in as we arrive. Our Goldcard allows us to tag on for a free ride and, bemasked, we’re quickly speeding out towards the Hauraki Gulf.

Disembarkation at Pine harbour is a simple process, especially since there is only one other couple on board. They have gone to the dark side and are electric. They plan to reach Miranda by mid afternoon. We tell ourselves that it’s  about the journey. The route follows the coast and provides beautiful views of the Hauraki Gulf and Rangitoto. Pohutukawas, the native ‘Christmas tree’ display their red needled bloom. 

Departing Downtown.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading around the coast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pohutukawa- New Zealand Christmas tree.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
School’s out.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From Maraitai, where schools are engaged in end of activities, we head inland for 12 kilometres to the small town of Clevedon. It’s hot and on arrival we stop outside the dairy for an ice block. 

Cool relief in Clevedon!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The dairy owner is clearing the mail box and she reads a letter for Santa posted by a hopeful child. The hoped for gifts are very clearly described.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Kawakawa Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Home baked calzone- number 1.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading inland to Clevedon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Makes sense.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The next 10 kilometres are mainly up. gently at first and then more demanding. Just as we decide to walk our bikes a few metres, we realise that we’ve reached the top. The remaining few kilometres are a relieved downhill to the turn off to Orere Point.

The final hill of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After the turn off it’s only a few more kilometres to the campground. We stop outside the entrance and knock back a restorative Fanta from the general store- a shop that seems to be a meeting place for locals and where everyone is on first name basis.

Our enthusiastic host of the Daniel Christian Top 10 Campground kindly upgrades us to a kitchen cabin- more room and cooking facilities. She suggests that we might like a swim in the river and while the thought’s there, we instead opt for showers and food. The shower block has the gentle sound of a guitar playing hymns, piped from on high. I recognise ‘Abide with me’ from the Titanic movie. Not an omen I hope.

We BBQ steak in the well appointed kitchen/dining area and add salad and chips. It’s a warm night and we drift off to the repetitive call of Ruru, the Morepork

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 63 km (39 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0