To Locknitz See - Wandering around North Germany - CycleBlaze

September 3, 2018

To Locknitz See

It amazes me how remote so much of this country is

Last night we ate at the harbour in a wonderful nautical restaurant.  There were displays of everything from Knots to brass speed controls from a boat - and a prow shaped bar.  I had wonderful herrrings then very full staggered home.

This is for Peter this Toyota Corolla is immaculate
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel in Ueckermunde
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are some lovely bronze statues - perhaps this one for Pokeno Bacon
Heart 0 Comment 0

There was two bus loads of tourists at the hotel last night so breakfast was extremely crowded but naturally we were well feed.  Heading out of town just after 8 I spotted a mobile phone shop that said it did repairs.  It didn't open until 10 so we tossed up whether to wait or not.  it was a lovely day so we sat in the sun and waited.  By the time 10 o'clock arrived there was a line of people waiting to be served. It is quite a big shop but one lone assistant.  When my time came he took one look and said he couldn't fix it for several days.  Asking about buying a new phone and transferring my data he said that would take many hours.  At least that is what I thought our exchange was because we had no common language.  I will just have to treat the phone very carefully.

Nice looking produce for sale
Heart 0 Comment 0
Goodness why there is a bandstand in the middle of nowhere
Heart 0 Comment 0

Somewhat frustrated we set off.  At first the route took us along the coast and there were people around, houses and the odd business.  Before long however we plunged back into forests, the sealed track disappeared and we were on what at times were very rough tracks with rocks and sand.  Any signs of habitation were  few and far between and usually just consisted of a couple of houses, the roads linking these little towns were heavily cobbled so there was no temptation to ride on them.  Looking at the map we saw that we were  often only about 1km from the Polish border.  We had bought sandwiches before leaving which was lucky because we would have been pretty hungry if we hadn't.  

It is almost impossible to ride on these cobbles
Heart 0 Comment 0
These cattle looked as if they were for beef
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lovely geraniuns at this neat house
Heart 0 Comment 0
Carving old tree stumps is very popular
Heart 1 Comment 0
I like the faces of these straw figures best
Heart 0 Comment 0

About 20km from Locknitz the rough track ended and we were delighted to be on small roads or sealed tracks.  Even better we saw some umbrellas out and there were an old couple with a little cafe.  The coffee tasted really delicious and there was a great big cup of it.

Locknitz when we arrived is a moderately sized small town.  It looks fairly prosperous and must be the centre for education around this area.  We saw a couple of big schools side by side and hoards of children coming out some of them looking as they were waiting for buses.

Our hotel for the night
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is right beside the lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
The private beach from te terrace
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just the thing at the end of a hot day
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our hotel Haus am See is down by a little lake, beautifully situated and very comfortable

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 723 km (449 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0