To Havelburg - Wandering around North Germany - CycleBlaze

August 25, 2018

To Havelburg

It was a much cooler today and we started off in coats which remained on all day.  The wind was up, sometimes it was just what we needed but most of the time it was in our faces and slowing us down.

This shows the line that until 1989 divided the east from the West - we have been riding along i
Heart 0 Comment 0

We started later to avoid arriving as early as we did yesterday and having to wait around for our check in time.  All the way to Wittenberg we were on a flood bank and now instead of the crops we had been passing through previously there were animals in the fields a mixture of cattle and sheep.  In the present conditions they are all needing supplementary feeding.

Waiting for more water
Heart 0 Comment 0
These sheep loved it that Ken fed them plums
Heart 0 Comment 0
We don't like riding on cobbles
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty houses all along the way
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bernie would love to travel like this
Heart 0 Comment 0

 Arriving in Wittenberg it was soon clear why I have had a bit of trouble with accommodation the whole town was indulged in an enormous party.  I will never believe it if people tell me that Germans don't have fun. Every type of amusement was happening, there were bands, dancers, acrobats, jugglers, food, beer and much more.  The crowds were huge and we found it quite difficult to push the bikes through.  The fun was contagious.  Ken got me a helium balloon for the back of my bike and it is flying happily along.  We found out it was Brandenburgertag and this type of thing was happening all over Brandenburg.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Squeals of delight were coming from the bubbles
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was fun in the water too
Heart 0 Comment 0
My bike gets in the festive mood
Heart 1 Comment 0

  Leaving the town it all seemed very quiet then it started to rain a bit but miraculously a restaurant appeared and in we popped to shelter from the rain and have some very nice soup for lunch.  The rain had stopped when we came out.  Very soon we left the Elbe and started to follow the Havel, it is this river that we will follow to Berlin as we leave the Elbe Radweg and start following the Havel Radweg.  Getting into Havelburg we saw that the town was in two parts, the Aldstat is on an island and the rest of the town on the right bank.  Being in Bandenburg there was fun going on.  

The Dom at Havelburg is very forbidding looking
Heart 0 Comment 0
Havelburg is in Brandenburg too
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our accommodation is very weird.  It is an apartment and required 4 sets of keys for us to eventually get into it.

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 254 km (158 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jack WatsonSuch a pleasure to follow your blog. I was interested in your comment on "Mr Google." I discovered Google Maps a few months ago, and it's been an absolute game changer for me getting around Auckland.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Jack WatsonYes he is what always gets us out of a pickle
Reply to this comment
5 years ago