The Escape from Prague - Wandering around North Germany - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2018

The Escape from Prague

It is a huge city

We ate again last night at the restaurant we have got to like so much and had a bottle of a very good sparkling Bohemian wine to wash down my steak and Ken's risotto.  the weather was beautiful again so we sat outside watching the hoards of tourists go about their business.

Ken has been feeling concerned about how we will find our way out.  He had walked the early part to the river and when we set off we found it relatively easy to find our way but more difficult to dodge the crowds.  It was lovely bumping along the cobbles beside the river and we even found where our cycle route took off from.  You are led into a forested area and we felt, yes we are escaping the city.

These are the signs we are following at this point we need the A1
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

After around 20km out you pop and find you are really still in Prague there are huge apartment buildings, a massive shopping complex and a sub way station.  We thought things would be relatively easy from here but we were wrong. The city just seemed to go on and on for ever and the signage we had been relying on became very patchy so at last I set my phone and things were a lot better for a while at least.

Prague hasn't ended yet
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Unlike the parts of the Czech Republic we had been in previously there is a massive amount of building going on.  We were passing through small towns and agricultural areas some of the time knowing where we were going.  The going was very undulating and the hills steep, I felt sorry for Ken who didn't have the advantage of electricity I had and quite frequent had to get off and push.  Then we came to  a place where it looked as if it would be a wonderful downhill swoop to the Sazavou River on which Tynec is built.  Down we swept to be stopped by road works with a very high fence stopping any possibility of us wriggling ourselves through.   There were paddocks at one side so we took to them in the attempt to get round it.  We got inside the fence part and the miracle was that there was a tiny gap in the fence at the other end.

Lunch
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were lucky we could get out at this end
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arriving but we didn't have to sleep in the tepes
Heart 0 Comment 0

From then on it was relatively straight forward but we arrived felling pretty tired, it hadn't been a big distance but it was hard and the temperature was 30 degrees

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 1,524 km (946 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Susan McDougallReally enjoying your blog Tricia and Ken . It is making us think about our next cycle trip. Still pretty hot there too.- 30 degrees!!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago