Bulgaria - Wandering around North Germany - CycleBlaze

Bulgaria

Yesterday was a trip to Constanta.  This is the end of the EV6 and I looked for any signs of it - but nothing.  We didn't see a single cyclist and it certainly seems to me that cycling in Romania would certainly be a challenge.  We of course were hurtling along in an air conditioned coach.  Constatanta itself is said to be the biggest port the Black Sea and it certainly seems very busy and there were a large number of container boats waiting their turn anchored off shore. We visited the Acheological Museum to view the extremely ancient roots of the city then wandered along the waterfront, my watch has died so Ken was able to find one in one of the stalls along the front.

The Mosque at Constanta
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Archaeological museum at Constanta
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ancient diggings
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Orthodox Church
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beside the Black Sea
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back to the boat and as we ate lunch we caste off and said what will be for us goodbye to Romania.  Waking to  another lovely day this morning we were in Rousse, Bulgaria with a plan for the day to take a trip into Bulgaria and meet the boat a bit further upstream . Back on the buses we were off to Veliko Tărnovo which was the medieval capital of Bulgaria.   It is positioned in the foothills of the mountains in a highly defensive position making it an obvious choice to guard against the marauding Turks.  During the communist era what must have been a huge amount of money was put into restoring the hill where the Zsar's palace and the crowning glory, the church, is.  After lunch we were on to Arbanassi where there is a magnificent church.  These Eastern Orthodox Churches fascinate me. Here with the threat of the Muslims the outside of this one looks like a barn but once inside it is a mass of colour with icons and murals covering all surfaces.  When the internet is fast enough I will post photos of it.

Veil of Tarnovo
Heart 0 Comment 0
A spectacular memorial there
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting murals in the main street
Heart 0 Comment 0
We climbed a steep hill to get here - lots of steps!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking care of invaders
Heart 0 Comment 0

Life on aboard ship is like living in a parallel universe every whim is catered for.  It is surprising how many Kiwis are on board and we have met some very interesting people.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0