30km South of Frankfurt/Oder at Eisenhuttenstadt - Wandering around North Germany - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2018

30km South of Frankfurt/Oder at Eisenhuttenstadt

A day of suprises

We ame across a bus load of musicians at first ken thought they were carrying sub machine guns
Heart 0 Comment 0
Horse picture of the day
Heart 1 Comment 0
Coming into Frankfurt
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Things started well. Ken called in at one of the garages and got something for lunch, we whipped across the bridge and were so bowling along the Oder feeling very pleased with ourselves. The wind of yesterday had disappeared so progress was fast and easy - we were going to make good progress on what we then thought was a short day and started to worry about the check in time . 

Coming into Frankfurt am Oder the way we did there are many reminders of the Soviet past with derelict factories and dreary apartment houses.  Then we came to the cobbled route along the river. A lovely German couple showed us the way and we had a nice time with them despite the fact we had no common language - they so wanted  to be friends, and we were.  A cafe appeared and we sat looking across the river into Poland feeling very relaxed.  Through the very attractive South part of Frankfurt and we struck a 2.5km hill of 6% not bad at all but on my ebike I get up a lot quicker than Ken.

Our German friends
Heart 2 Comment 0
Beside the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Houses on the North side
Heart 0 Comment 0

  There was a field of straw and Ken felt it deserved a photo

The fateful field of straw
Heart 1 Comment 0

Problem.  Where was his back pack! Oh no it must be back in the coffee stop now 7km away.  Around we turned and sped down the hill.   our waitress handed it over and we were back up the hill.  There were two routes to Eisenhuttenstadt the river one rather longer than its alternative  but we played it safe and took it and a lovely route it was with the added bonus of an Eise Cafe along the way.

They keep the radweg immaculate
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Eise cafe
Heart 0 Comment 0

Arriving in Eisenhuttenstadt thanks to Keith Clausens good advice I had put our hotel on Komoot so we knew where to go, what we hadn't realised it was around 5km out at another town.  We found it and eventually rather flucked finding the extremely stressed owner of the Pension - he had overbooked and there were no rooms in 'this house' but there was a room in his 'other house' 2km away.  A lovely German woman was checking in at the same time as us and said why didn't she go to the other house and we stay here.  We were grateful and off she went with the stressed owner - he was telling me that he would be back in 20minutes to fix our problems.  He is also most concerned that he had only two chairs for breakfast and would have to see what happened at 8 o'clock in the morning. I assured him we were fine without breakfast as we want an early start in the morning as we have a long day tomorrow - I had spotted a McDonalds along the way back to the river.

This must have been very important to Eisenhuttenstadt
Heart 1 Comment 0
The allotments aren't just used for gardens
Heart 0 Comment 0
We find the Pension I think we might need a rope to climb the wall
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 992 km (616 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0