0n Our Way We get to Tespe - Wandering around North Germany - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2018

0n Our Way We get to Tespe

This is why I like riding in germany
Heart 1 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesThis one is Steves favourite.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tricia GrahamTo Steve Miller/GrampiesHe obviously has good taste
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

It is inevitable that on the first day of a cycle trip we run into problems and get lost.  This was combined with the fact that we were leaving a big city and with its maze of waterways Hamburg is particularly difficult to navigated through.  We weren't disappointed.  Therefore we had booked a place only about 40km away.

Loaded and ready to go
Heart 2 Comment 0
A better view of my lovely bike
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Getting out of Hamburg is not all beautiful
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bridges and more bridges
Heart 0 Comment 0

With the thought of a short day we took our time leaving.  Through the station for the last time and onto the track, we even saw some signage and began to congratulate ourselves.  Hamburg is a big port and there are bridges and braids of the river everywhere.  We went through a park on the outskirts, the signs continued, we were so smart, but then of course the inevitable all signs disappeared and we didn't have the faintest idea where we were.

About to get lost
Heart 0 Comment 0

  Milling around at the corner was a German couple in similar trouble.  They were German though so they must know where to go so we followed them.  At this stage it was not a pretty ride, we went through a massive Logistics Area, a Tank Farm - none of these places we could find on the map. The four of us stopped and had a consultation.  The Germans were keen to continue on the major road but it was going directly east and we knew we need to be going SE.  We decided to put our faith in the GPS and we parted.  Thank you Mr Google you gave us a great route.  Eventually we came to Duneberg.  We knew where we were we were on the map again! A lovely Backerie appeared with seats in the shade.

We know where we are and there is a Backerie
Heart 2 Comment 0

Freshly made sandwiches and a massive coffee and we were feeling pleased - we even knew where to go but we were feeling worried about our German friends.  Down to the bridge and who should cycle along.  We greeted each other like long lost friends, they were desperate to find food.

Over the bridge we went and it was another world we were humming along on a perfect cycle track with signs all along it. Now we were beside the Elbe. Like the Danube it looks very low and by the look of the grass around it there hasn't been any rain for a long time. It has been a bit difficult to find accommodation but we had found an apartment in Tespe near the track.  It is a lovely fully equiped two bedroom apartment, rather excessive for us but very comfortable. Ken loves it because on top of the Harmonian is a Natural Trumpet, he has never played one before so is enjoying the challenge.

On the track again the countryside is lovely
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Elbe
Heart 0 Comment 0
In his element
Heart 2 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesI see Ken's bike came in for the concert.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

The wonderful thing about cycling in Germany is that even when you are lost you are always safe as you never have to ride amongst the traffic there is always a cycle way 

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 56 km (35 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Kathleen JonesThose bikes look great. Have fun!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago