What's Happening With the Grampies? - Grampies Fall for the Islands Fall 2019 - CycleBlaze

October 19, 2019

What's Happening With the Grampies?

Back in April the Grampies were spinning around Austria, Czech Republic, and Germany, on the track of  - they proclaimed - the best Tortes. The blog was Grampies Track the Tortes. Then suddenly, in Prague and only 33 days into the tour - they suddenly pulled up stakes, stashed the bikes in Leipzig, and made for home.

What happened? We weren't very specific then because the problem involved not us directly but our daughter - Joni. Now we can explain, that Joni had received a terminal brain cancer diagnosis. We went back to look after her.

The months that followed had many ups and downs - with Joni's condition and treatment and with the family's reaction to everything. There was a lot of conflict, even with Joni herself. More than once we repacked our gear in frustration, and were ready to fly back to Leipzig. But we have hung in, never fully willing to leave our daughter behind.

Amazingly, to the surprise of all the doctors, Joni has also hung in. Though she is in Hospice now, she has been strong enough that they want to move her to a less acute care home. Through this we have stayed nearby, helping to cope with doctors' appointments, and visiting regularly. This, of course, puts a crimp in cycling, though the 85 km return  ride from our house to the Hospice has given us a focus for at least some pedaling.

In the past months, we have managed to slip in a trip along the Willamette River, a survey of cycling on the Saanich Peninsula, and a spin around Saltspring Island. But for now, more distant destinations in Europe, Mexico, Cuba, - all on our current  list - must be left to wait.

With this blog, you find us once more straying from home - but not so far. It will just be about a week and 350 km. But maybe in that time and distance there can still be something of interest. After all, we live in a part of the world that others will travel long distances to reach. Let's go out and have a look!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 18
Rachael Andersonwe’ve missed hearing from you! Hope you enjoy your trip. We look forward to reading about it.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Michel FleurancePlease do not scrub me from your list.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesOf course, you know this territory well, and you inspired us to criss cross Saltspring in July. But we will try to find something interesting to look at or do out there!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Michel FleuranceMichel, you will always be top of our list!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Frank RoettgenSteve, I always thought "What a shame all these cyclists from such different and exciting parts of the world hardly introduce their home turf to us!" Here we go! I look very much forward to reading about what you have to say about your country, state, province, town...
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Patrick O'HaraHi Grampies,
Patrick O'Hara here from Vancouver. I now have two journals that I look forward to reading every day.....The Grampies and The Andersons. I have followed many of your trips in the past. Glad to see that you are taking time to explore close to home. Take Care. Tail Winds!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Sandra LawnHi Steve and Dodi
I hope you find some solace on this trip and can relax even for a short time during this extremely stressful and sad time in you life. I’m sure turning the pedals will take the stress away and distract you. Have fun, also just catching up on how many pieces of tort you ate haha Frank and I plan to visit Chech Republic and surrounds next year so good reading I didn’t realise we’d have to eat so many cakes!
Cheers
Sandy
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Andrea BrownThank you for sharing that very personal and painful information with us. Our best wishes to your family, we will keep all of you in our thoughts, and like others have said, we hope that cycling continues to give you solace and enjoyment, however alloyed it may be.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Frank RoettgenWe also really enjoy reading about others journeys on their home turf, and are finding that there is so much about our area that we have still to discover.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Patrick O'HaraGlad we can brighten your day. This area has some really nice cycling, especially if you like hilly terrain.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Sandra LawnCycling at this time in our lives has really been a lifesaver, both in terms of offering a brief period of distraction, but also for the endorphin rush obtained from exercise.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Andrea BrownThanks Andrea. The support of others, even if they are "only " virtual friends really is meaningful to us.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jacquie GaudetHi Steve and Dodie

Such sad news... As a parent, something so terrible happening to one of my kids is my greatest fear. I'm glad you can get out and ride away from it, if only temporarily.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jacquie GaudetThanks Jacquie. We find that cycling has been a bit of a lifeline for us, helping restore balance in our lives.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith KleinHi Steve and Dodie,
I am ever so saddened to hear of your daughter’s illness. And I hope that you can get some solace and relief from your tour, even if Joni is never far from your thoughts. Peace to you both.
Keith
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Keith KleinThanks Keith. Cycling is a great stress reducer.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Karen PoretWOW.. I knew the Grampies were awesome but did NOT have any clue of Joni’s ordeal. 4 years ago! Now it’s “my turn”…breast cancer, discovered last week during a needle biopsy to “accompany” my husband, Michael who has prostate and bladder cancer ( he has had it a full year) We had to postpone our Netherlands trip in 2023, but I will NOT let this stop us from cycling in May AND again, in September to Germany. Bless you Steve and Dodie!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Karen PoretSome areas of cancer treatment have made great strides over the years. When Joni was first diagnosed - 2005 I think, they radiated the tumour precisely, after computer mapping it in 3D. We thought this was amazing, though they did warn there would be a recurrence. 2019 was when that happened, and they went to radiate again. When I mentioned the miraculous equipment that had been used in 2005 to the radio therapist, she said "Oh, we threw that junk away years ago". The 2019 treatment lasted until 2023, but could not be repeated. They went for a surgery. This may have prolonged life, but not with much quality. Even so, Joni is still with us, about 18 years from diagnosis, and we shared some great Indian food with her just yesterday.

We hope you cycle on, and have good results with whatever treatments. Will you blog your trips on Cycleblaze?
Reply to this comment
2 months ago