Loutra Edipsou - North to the Balkans - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2018

Loutra Edipsou

Rest day!!

Well, not quite a rest day; but about as much of one as we ever get - a lazy twenty miles along the coast ending at Lipso Edipsou, the ferry port back to the mainland and the ending point for this stage of the tour.

The day begins as a rest day should - restfully.  We sleep in a bit and then walk down to the waterfront where we find a cafe and settle into a table in the sun by the bay.  As we take our time over breakfast (cheese pie, spinach pie, a ham and cheese sandwich on seeded wheat bread, plus filtered coffee: 9.60 euros), we soak up the sun and the blissful ambience: a small fishing boat afloat on the bay, it’s operator casting his net; a trio of women at the adjacent table, softly but rapidly conversing continuously in voices that have the sound of music; a small black and white cat, almost a kitten still, that hovers appealingly under our tables, nudges against us, rolls on my feet.  Pretty much a perfect way to begin the day.

Limni
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our neighbors, and the owner of the cafe
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the bay, with the mountains of northern Greece beyond. An amazingly calm morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cleanup crew, seeking out fallen crumbs. In case you’re wondering, the discoloration is from the foliage, not the birds - we’re sitting under a mulberry-like tree with small, hoplike fruits.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Let’s not forget the cat.
Heart 2 Comment 0

With only an easy 20 miles ahead of us, we’re in no big hurry to get started.  We finally get rolling about 11,with the aim of reaching Edipsou about 2, the earliest that we can check in to our room.

With only a flattish 20 miles, there’s not much room for drama; but we managed to find it when we veered off onto a very minor side road north of Rouvies.   We were very happy with this road at first, snaking through olive groves just yards from the shore.  Suddenly though we rounded a bend and came upon a small seasonal creek cutting across the road.  We considered backtracking but decided it was easily fordable.  For the next five minutes we shuttled bikes, gear and ourselves across the creek, barefoot.  

Once everything was across, we put our shoes back on and prepared to ride when Rachael decided she was missing a glove.  Perplexed, we looked around us, then back at the other side, and then finally the water where it lay soaking, wedged in the rocks.

So that’s it for the day’s excitement.  It’s a rest day, so I’m resting.  See you tomorrow.

Another new one to me, in the garden of our hotel: Capparis Spinoza, or Caper bush, a source of culinary capers. (Credit: Andrea Brown)
Heart 2 Comment 2
Andrea BrownThis one took me awhile. It is Capparis Spinosa, or Caper Bush. The unopened buds are brined and pickled and turned into, you guessed it... culinary capers. What a lovely blossom!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownCapers! How great. I’ll have to watch for this one again. Nice to find one that was more of a challenge, too. Good job!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
I give up. I don’t know what Rocky is doing either. Looks like she’s sparring with the sun.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leaving Limni
Heart 3 Comment 0
Most of the short ride to Edipsou was like this - quiet roads that hugged the coastline.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The medieval tower at Rouvies. More interesting at a distance than close up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From Rouvies we found this delightful lane that followed the shore, and avoided the highway for a few miles.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Just for the birds
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
She looks pretty full of herself here, don’t you think?
Heart 1 Comment 0
So here’s the drawback to our quiet lane: a river runs through it. Note that Rachael is wearing only one glove for some reason, and her other has just fallen in the drink.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ten minutes later, after we’re done portaging our bike and gear, Rachael realizes she’s shy one glove. We look around and spy it in the creek, so she crosses back to retrieve it.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Janet BeatyThis one makes me quiver! I broke my ankle in the High Sierra doing a water crossing...had to get helicoptered out!! Glad it went well!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Janet BeatyOh, my gosh. I worry about it too, for both of us. Watching Rachael teeter on the rocks made me anxious - I told her if she started to lose it, just go with it and get your feet wet, which she did. I worried for myself too, because of my knee issues - I wanted to be sure I was in control with each step, which is why I’m so slow in the video.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Across the creek, the lane degraded. We worried that it would die out and force us to backtrack and recross the stream. It was a relief when we connected to the highway again.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I misidentified this tree yesterday as a locust, based on its pods. The leaves are wrong though. It’s Cercis siliquastrum, or Judas tree (Credit: Andrea Brown)
Heart 1 Comment 2
Andrea BrownThere are few tree species with round leaves like this, and many of them are in the Cercis family, such as redbuds. I'm pretty sure this one is Cercis siliquastrum, or Judas Tree. You probably saw them in full pink bloom just a few weeks ago.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownI think we must have missed the blooming season. I don’t recall seeing it further south, but suddenly it’s fairly common.

Pretty lengthy responses! I hope this means your wrist is healing well?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Nearing the end of our long twenty miler. Loutra Edipsou is just around the last bend.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ilia, another little seaside village that looked worth exploring, but we’re starting to worry about the weather.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Loutra Edipsou. Every town and village along the coast here seems to have significant fishing activity.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our ferry that will carry us to Arkitsa on the mainland in the morning.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kick stands, Grecian style
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 21 miles, 1,500’

Today's ride: 21 miles (34 km)
Total: 844 miles (1,358 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0