Korça - North to the Balkans - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2018

Korça

Like yesterday, we got an early start to try to beat the threatened afternoon thunderstorms.  We were down for breakfast at 7 for a tasty omelet and delicious bread, and were on the road not long after 8.  We left with really good feelings about Guesthouse Germenj, and especially the family that runs it. Simple as it’s accommodations are, we would definitely stay here again if we came this way.

Today’s ride had the same magical quality as yesterday’s, and of the one before - fantastic scenery, remarkable sights, near-empty roads.  Every day in Albania has been memorable, but these latest days, ever since we entered the Vjosa valley, have been extraordinary and unlike any other cycling experience we’ve had.

The country is modernizing it’s infrastructure at breakneck speed, it seems.  There are signs of this everywhere, but especially with the roads.  We’ve passed many miles of what appear to be brand new highways - wide, smooth, incomplete works in progress.  On the ride north from Gjirokaster a few days back, we were a bit alarmed by some gaping, very deep holes along the side of the new highways - real trip enders, if you weren’t paying attention.  This went on for miles, and we realized that they’re the uncovered holes into which highway light standards will be placed soon.

The road from the last three days - ever since we entered the Vjosa - is not like this.  Narrow, unstraightened, of erratic and often quite poor surface quality, among other things it keeps the traffic level and velocity down.  It’s not always the most comfortable, but it’s perfect for slow travel - on a bike, on foot, on a donkey.  It’s just a matter of time until the country gets to these roads too though, and I wonder how much longer after that this country will retain its magical quality.  If you’re tempted to visit Albania (and you should be), I’d go now.

Leaving Guesthouse Germenj, under promising skies
Heart 2 Comment 0
Roadside springs have been a very common site ever since we left the coast.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tomas, from Krakow. He’s on day 5 of a ride from Tirana back home. He’s dressed warmly because he’s coping with a case of the flu.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looks pretty grayish. The day could go either way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This country! The views just keep on coming.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of several war memorials we passed today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dropping into the start of a long basin that we’ll follow for the next ten miles
Heart 1 Comment 0
I think this is another memorial, surrounding the small cemetery at its center.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The entrance to the memorial shown in the previous image
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just what the countryside needs - a dash of color to spice things up a bit.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pillbox in an attractive setting
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Watering the herd
Heart 2 Comment 0
Drawing a few stares
Heart 3 Comment 0
We’re out of the mountains, but the flats are just as beautiful.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rachael complained that she’s tired of rough roads, so we should see what she’s grousing about. This is pretty representative of the first thirty miles of the day (and all of yesterday), until we finally come to the new highway.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We may have seen this one before, but I can’t recall for sure. If so, I deem it worth a second look.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltI looked, but didn't find a match...
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Andrea BrownThis looks to be one of the Phacelias (non-native to Europe) but hard to ID without seeing the leaves.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

About ten miles before Korça, we near the top of the final climb of the day.  Unexpectedly, the climb ends about a hundred feet lower than the mapped route, when we pass through a gap in the road and come to fresh pavement.  The road I had mapped circles above to the left, but is now cut off and abandoned.  The newly paved road is so fresh that it isn’t recognized on Google yet.  For the remainder of the ride we’re on a sleek, wide, new highway.  It is still very quiet, but the character is very different.  Before long we start working our way into Korça, one of the largest cities in the country.  

And, amazingly enough, we arrive dry again!  It has turned out to be a perfect cycling day - low to mid seventies, partly cloudy; very comfortable.  The rains hold off until dinner time, when a sudden flash of lightning followed by a deafening crash about a second later sends everyone in the streets running for cover.  Not us though - we’re under cover already on the balcony of our restaurant, enjoying a fine Father’s Day meal and enjoying the show.

In the evening we phone home to wish dad a happy Father’s Day.  He’s delighted to take the call - he said he never expected to receive a phone call from Albania.  In his mind, it’s as remote as Timbuktoo.  I tell him of how amazing it is here, and that we saw a horse-drawn plow today.  He said his youth was like that, growing up in the Blue Ridge Mountains - the land was plowed with horses then also, and he would ride the rake when he could get away with it.

A double break: we’re at the top of the final climb for the day, and the start of the new highway.
Heart 1 Comment 0
About ten miles south of Korça we pass through a zone of mining activity.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unnatural neighbors: bean poles and mining operations
Heart 2 Comment 0
I don’t know what’s going on here - preparing for some sort of pipeline?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tilling with a horse-drawn plow: a scene I never expected to see
Heart 2 Comment 0
Relaxing over a well-earned Korça, in Korça
Heart 1 Comment 0
The orthodox cathedral, Korça
Heart 1 Comment 0
The first course of a Father’s Day feast. More to come.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The street in front of our inn glistens from the recent cloudburst.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Note that we didn’t follow exactly this route. About ten miles from Korça we joined the new highway, which isn’t even on the map yet.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 42 miles, 3,300’; for the tour: 1,744 miles, 151,300’

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 1,658 miles (2,668 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetFollowing this journal is making me think about changing my upcoming retirement tour. I was going to go to France, then through Switzerland to Italy, but now I'm thinking of doing something like this--copying you again! So, one for 2019 and one for 2020...

Jacquie
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetI would sure consider coming to somewhere in the region, if you’ve never been here. I’m already imagining another tour a few years down the road.

Retirement! Yippee!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago