Airbnb pioneers - North to the Balkans - CycleBlaze

March 25, 2018

Airbnb pioneers

This is a pretty strange way to work our way into a tour, edging toward Crete one Air B&B at a time.  Today we’re on the move again, resettling ourselves from Tiffany’s to Kate’s, a new listing on Burnside.  Really new - almost immediately after we made our reservation, we received a phone call from Kate.  We will be her first guests, and she’s just putting in the final touches (like a lockbox, so we can let ourselves in).   She wants to warn us of this and that it may not be fully shaken out yet, in case we have any concerns.  We’re pioneers!

We draw straws, and we both win: Rachael gets to go off on an early bike ride, and I hang around most of the morning until I can relocate our stuff to the new digs.  Good for her for obvious reasons - who wouldn’t love to go for a ride when it’s 38 and damp?; but good for me too - I get to take some credit for letting her go (I claim it’s a late birthday present), while secretly enjoying loafing around at the coffee shop staying warm and dry.

Kate’s looks like it will suit us well.  It’s roomy, accommodates the bikes well, and is in a great location.  We’ll only be here for five nights, but I can see us coming back here again someday.

Kate’s place, our new home for a few
Heart 1 Comment 0
I like these places with painted concrete floors. It works well for bringing the bikes indoors.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I loiter most of the morning until hearing from Kate that the lockbox is installed and I can check in.   After dropping off our stuff, Rodriguez and I set out on a scouting expedition to see what’s nearby.  A lot, as it turns out. Within about a three block radius we have a grocery store, at least two coffee shops, at least two brew pubs, a bike store, and several enticing restaurants.   Just a few blocks further and we have Pambiche, a Cuban restaurant we’ve enjoyed for years, and lovely Laurelhurst Park.  An embarrassment of riches.

In the heart of the Laurelhurst District. Kate’s place is just off the frame to the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We’re in the heart of one of the funkiest neighborhoods in town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Almost makes me want to take up a new discipline.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I really like this. I wonder what came first - did they build the structure around the tree, or carve it out later to give it room to grow?
Heart 3 Comment 0
One of several attractive spots to try out while we’re here. Some tough choices ahead.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I love learning that beer is a health food.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pambiche, a delightful Cuban restaurant
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’re even in the heart of the cultural district.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Laurelhurst Park, a pleasant inner city oasis
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Laurelhurst Park
Heart 0 Comment 0

After making the rounds, I head down to the river.  I want to check out the routes, because I’m not that clear on the best way to get to the cor from Kate’s by bike.  It’s not too bad most of the way - busy Burnside is paralleled by Couch and Ankeny, both of which are appealing greenways.  When you get close to the river though it’s a bit awkward working your way across a series of north-south arterials.  

Westbound on Ankeny street, a pleasant greenway that takes you almost to the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This wasn’t in my mind when I started out, but it turns out that this is a fabulous day to be at the river.  The cherry trees look like they’re at their peak, the sun is out, and the atmosphere is festive.  There must be 500 or more people milling around under the trees, gazing up, taking photos, posing, the usual.  Smiles everywhere you look.  It’s a great day for people watching, it warms your heart.  Wonderful - almost enough to make one forget about the mildewed windows back at the condo for a bit.

At the peak of the season. This must be the prettiest time of the year to be on the waterfront.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A bike I like
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonThe new digs look good, if only for a few days.
Mildewed windows - I know what you're talking about. Glad we aren't trying to sell our apartment. The north side gets hit the hardest here.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago