Agia Kyriaki Church (hike) - North to the Balkans - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2018

Agia Kyriaki Church (hike)

This is a second post for the same day, covering the five mile, three hour hike we took from Apeiranthos to Agia Kyriaki Church and back.  It was a wonderful hike - terrific scenery, an interesting destination, very quiet if you don’t include the sounds of goats or lizards scurrying into the underbrush.  We saw only one other person on the walk, hiking out just as we were beginning.

The trail itself is exceptionally interesting, and very well developed.  It was developed to support mule trains going to and from the emery mines.  It was interesting to walk along this centuries old road, contemplating the labor involved to hand-lay all of these stone slabs.

It is a fairly strenuous  but technically easy hike, with about fifteen hundred feet of elevation loss to reach the church, and to be regained on the way back.  I had some trepidation about this hike, because my knees don’t support a very challenging hike any more.  I did fine though, and as very pleased about it.  I think that biking regularly has really been therapeutic, and my knees seem to be doing better as the tour progresses.  very encouraging.

The church is quite beautiful, and sits in a stunning situation.  Regarded as one of the most important Byzantine monuments in Naxos, it was recently restored and is now well protected and closed to the casual passerby at least.  An information panel stands outside, with background and photographs of the protected murals locked away inside.

The walk begins here, on the edge of the village by the museum.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the start, the walk descends through an oak forest. The path, covered with detritus, is easy on the feet.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Early on, the walk passes through a cultivated area. Views become progressively more dramatic as we descend from the ridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Beyond the oak forest, the walk becomes a bit more of a scramble. Periodically we stop to unpin a fence that blocks the way, presumably to confine the many goats roaming the rocks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Goats are our constant companions throughout the hike.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the bend is the turn off to a second church, St John the Theologian. We didn’t have the time to explore it, so we walked on.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Crossing the bridge, sporting my dashing red hat. Pleasantly surprised Rachael would take a picture of it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
After dropping for about an hour, wecross a stream on a small concrete bridge, and then begin climbing to the church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
It is inspiring to walk this path, contemplating its history and construction.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Byzantine Agia Kyriaki church, built in the 9th century.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Beyond the church is this spectacular ridge, and beyond that the drop to the sea. The photo doesn’t really do justice to how beautiful this spot feels.
Heart 3 Comment 0
By the time we turn back, the day is late in and we walk part of the way in the shadows.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Near the end of the hike. We keep a steady pace the whole way back, because it’s getting late in the day and we still have a ride ahead. Note that in all of these photos, Rachael is carrying the pack, doing her part to keep the load off my knees.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesWhat a gal. You are a lucky man Scott.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonNo news to me. Changed my life when we met up 30 years ago.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0