Sifnos - Cycling Greece - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2009

Sifnos

We arrived at Sifnos late in the afternoon, after taking the early morning ferry from Aegina to Piraeus and transferring to the ferry that runs up and down the western group of the Cyclades. Sifnos is a small island - less than 30 square miles - and not really a cycling destination. It has a great reputation for hiking though, so we just cycled about a mile along the coast from the terminal to our hotel in Kamares, parked our bikes, and settled in for a pair of hiking days.

Before hiking though, we had to tame the wildlife in our hotel room. The website where I booked it failed to warn that it backed against a marsh, and that it might be overrun by voracious mosquitoes in springtime. They were more than fierce, and made sleep impossible until we beat them to death on the 10 foot high walls of our room, slapping them high above our heads in a frenzied assault with our bath towels.

Sifnos is an amazing place, and a small hiking paradise. It is criscrossed by well preserved traditional stone foot and mule pathways (monopati), and has an unbelievable concentration of very beautiful whitewashed chapels, churches and monasteries - allegedly 365 of them. We took two day hikes, both originating in Apollonia at the crest of the island which we reached by a bus from the port.

On the first day we took a long (13 rugged miles), full day hike of to the southwest, climbing up from Apollonia over a ridge and dropping to the sea at Vathi; climbed from there over another ridge to end up at Panagai Chrissopigi, a stunning church on the southern coast; and then caught the bus back. It was beautiful the entire way - terrific countryside and vistas, and a series of very beautiful churches.

On the second day we took another stunning hike - a shorter 8 mile loop that began in Apollonia again, went southeast to the amazing village of Kastro, north along the coast to Artemonas, and back again to the bus to the port in time to catch the mid-afternoon ferry to Milos.

Kamares, the port town of Sifnos. We parked here for two nights and enjoyed a pair of spectacular day hikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first hike began with climbing this footpath south out of Appolonia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Whitewashing a church in Apollonia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sifnos is crisscrossed with centuries-old footpaths.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taxiarchis tis Skafis, a small brilliant church isolated in the hills of southern Sifnos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taxiarchis tis Skafis, Sifnos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aghios Nikolaos church, in the hills above Vathi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Aghios Nikolaos church, Sifnos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From Nikolaos church, the trail dropped sharply to the beach at Vathi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vathi, Sifnos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bay at Vathi. From here, we climbed the eastern ridge along the southern edge of the island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Panagia Chrissopigi church, Sifnos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Panagia Chrissopigi church, Sifnos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Panagia Chrissopigi church, Sifnos. This was the end point of our first hike. From here we scrambled back uphill to the road for the last bus back to town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hiking up to Kastro, on Sifnos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A dovecot near Kastro, Sifnos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A small church on the route to Kastro.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stone walls and olive groves, near Kastro.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Passageway, Kastro.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tiny village of Kastro, on a knoll high above the sea, is a fascinating place to wander through.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kastro, Sifnos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Church of the Seven Martyrs, Sifnos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Church of the Seven Martyrs, Sifnos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Church, cypress and sea, Sifnos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Panagia Poulati church, Sifnos.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Windmill, Artemonas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Windmill and donkey, Artemonas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Artemonas, Sifnos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A church in Artemonas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Artemonas, Sifnos.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0