Nafplio to Poros - Cycling Greece - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2009

Nafplio to Poros

From Nafplio we proceded on to really finish off the Peloponnese - we rode across the ridge to the east, dropping down again to the Saronic Gulf to visit the great amphitheater at Epidaurus. Built two thousand years ago, the amphitheater is in amazing repair and wonderful to view and wander over. It is still in use for stage productions in summer - it would be an amazing experience to sit and watch Greek tragedies here on summer night.

From here we continued on another fifteen miles or so along the coast, finally leaving Peloponnese by ferry, on the huge five minute ride across a tiny channel to Poros, one of the Saronic Islands. Poros is so close offshore that it's amazing that noone has thrown across a bridge to it yet. It's quite beautiful, both on the island itself and when seen from across the strait.

The theater of Epidaurus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ancient theater of Epidaurus. The best preserved theater in Greece, it is still in use for summer festivals.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The theater of Epidaurus.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Poros harbor. Poros, a small island in the Saronic Gulf, is practically part of the Peleponnese, separated only by the tiny channel shown here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Poros from the Peleponnesian side of the channel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Viewing sailors disembarking for shore leave, from our hotel balcony on Poros.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishing boat and nets, Poros.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Whitewash and blue paint, Poros.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Poros.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Poros.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Poros harbor - another great spot for boat lovers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Poros.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stuffing ourselves at breakfast, Poros.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Poros.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This way to the clock tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 848 miles (1,365 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0