Kalavrita to Dimitsana - Cycling Greece - CycleBlaze

May 4, 2009

Kalavrita to Dimitsana

In the right conditions, I'm sure that the ride through northern Arcadia from Karkalou to Dimitsana is beautiful. For us though it was to be the hardest day of the tour. We awoke to a very grey and menacing sky, and with 50 miles in the mountains ahead of us we decided to start off quickly and get as many miles in as we could before they turned to rain.

No luck - on the outskirts out of town it began drizzling, and intensified as we climbed steeply out of the valley. After gaining 1500 feet in about four miles we crested the 4000 foot summit and began a long, wet, freezing fifteen mile descent that dropped 2500 feet before bringing us to Klitoria, the first place with facilities since leaving our hotel.

I don't think poor Rachael has ever been colder or more hypothermic. We stopped in a bar, the only place we could find open, and quickly put her hands around a cup of steaming tea, following it up with hot chocolate and coffee. As I remember it now, she didn't quit shaking for about twenty minutes.

We holed up for about an hour or so, waiting for the restaurant across the street to open up so we could invade it also and have lunch. Finally, fully recovered and warmed up further by hot soup and roasted chicken, we set off again. Fortunately the worst conditions had passed on and we avoided rain for most of the remaining miles of the ride. It remained cold but we were helped in keeping our temperatures up by the fact that most of the rest of the ride was uphill. We climbed another few thousand feet over the next twenty miles before finally dropping to Dimitsana, high in the Lousos River basin.

We were more than relieved to arrive at our inn, Guesthouse Karkazou. It's a lovely place in an old stone building (of course - Dimitsana consists entirely of old stone buildings), and we got a great reception. After warming up with showers and hot tea, we went out to explore the town a bit before sundown. It was quite pretty, with its wet stone streets glistening under the sun weakly breaking through the clouds.

It was with great relief that we reached Dimitsana, after a long, wet, frigid day in the mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, that didn't sound like fun at all.... I have found that NOT making plans/reservations to be in the next location is a better way, in case you need to wait out the weather.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Dimitsana, an Arcadian village where we stayed two nights.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesI am just skipping about this Greek blog. It has some wonderful images! The scarcity of likes reflects the fact that people tend not to read old blogs. That's strange, because people read lots of books, which by definition are about things that are not totally current.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonThat’s right - people don’t tend to poke around old blogs unless they’re doing research. It is odd.

This was the best tour! I think back on it so often. We’re trying to decide if we still have the legs to take on Greece again, but we might find ourselves back there this spring.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Our room in Guesthouse Karkazou - a beautiful haven in an old stone building that we quickly fouled by blanketing it with our soaked belongings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Once you leave the main strip in Dimitsana, it's all paving stones and stairways.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The rooftops of Dimitsana.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Many of the old roadways in Dimitsana have central channels for rainwater drainage.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Church tower, Dimitsana.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dimitsana.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dimitsana.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 262 miles (422 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0