Gialova to Koroni - Cycling Greece - CycleBlaze

May 10, 2009

Gialova to Koroni

From Gialova we followed the coastal route south and around the Messinian peninsula to our next night's stopover at Koroni. Along the way we stopped first at Methoni, another historical city referenced in the Iliad, and another military stronghold tossed around over the ages. Its castle was first built by the Venetians, was adapted by the Turks, was retaken by the Venetians, and then yet again by the Turks before falling to Greece with their independence.

From Methoni the road moves inland and away from the coast, climbing about a thousand feet to the small town of Finkoundi, where we stopped for lunch; and then drops to the sea at Koroni, yet another historical castle town. Messini was an area where we had great ambivalence during planning - Pylos and Methoni both looked like they would have been great places to stay over as well, but in the end it worked fine to see them passing through.

Entryway to Methoni Castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Bourtzi, added to the castle during the first Turkish rule.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Methoni Castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Methoni Castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Methoni Castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Methoni Castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Field of flowers, Methoni Castle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An emblem of Saint Mark's lion; evidence of the castle's origins under the Venetians.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachael was ushered in by the goats on our descent to Koroni, on the east cost of Messini.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Avoiding the main road, we took a back way into Koroni that was very quiet and ended in this beautiful stairway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dropping into Koroni through the back door.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Like all the other towns of Messini, Koroni has its own ruined castle by the sea.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachael dressed in a borrowed skirt, suitable for visiting Panagya Elestrias, the principal church in Koroni.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A colorful homefront, Koroni.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The entry to our hotel, Koroni.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cat and crockery, Koroni.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kafenion and its customers, Koroni.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside Panagia Elestrias, Koroni.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Panagia Elestrias, Koroni.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 442 miles (711 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0